home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-06-2018, 05:47 AM   #1
aussyvolvo
Will stalk for money

Default 360 fuel pump ground location?

so my trouble shooting has this on my 1986 LH volvo 360. the relay is working, there is voltage getting through the fuse behind the (about 11.5v), but the fuel pump is getting 0v, this is going by the terminals on the plugs at the fuel pump (tested with multimeter).

I can't seem to find where the wires go from the pump, they just go up into an impossible to reach place. If anyone could inform me where the grounding location is, I'd be able to do more diagnostics. (the fuel pump pumps when directly connected to a battery)

Further information, the car ran when parked a few months ago, just an intermittent misfire. And at some point, people siphoned the petrol out (I forgot to lock the cover).
she wanted me to spend all my time with her, that meant no tbricks and no gym...... so I got fat, and she found someone else...... skinnier.......... so naturally I'm back on tbricks to spread the badly spelt word :P
aussyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
dl242gt
Can play the blues

This is an LH injected car? Then the ground for the relay is provided by the ecu. At least that is how the ones work that we got over here. is it a white six pin relay? the fuel ecu has to see an engine rpm signal from cranking and then it will ground and turn on the fuel pump relay.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
aussyvolvo
Will stalk for money

it's 7 pin, but I will check the crank sensor on the flywheel...... wait.... how do I check it?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
aussyvolvo
Will stalk for money

so I found that the fuel pump doesn't go through the ecu (I think they share a relay though), when cranking, under the rear seat I get 8-9v only, and when testing resistance from the car's side, I get this reading (pictured), can anyone else please take a quick reading at let me know if this is good? (I don't know how to read this multimeter either, there's no labeling)

Old 11-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
dl242gt
Can play the blues

The fuel ceu provides a ground for the fuel pump relay in the LH cars we have over here. The power does not pass through the ecu. It provides the turn on ground after it sees the ignition system is making spark.

For a basic spark check you can put a test light on the coil terminal 1 and see if it switches the coil. The light should flash if it is. Then you can use the meter to see if the signal for engine speed is being sent to the fuel ecu. If it is and you get no ground on the fuel pump relay then it may be the fuel pump ground circuit has failed in the fuel ecu.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Front probing is bad!!!!!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
aussyvolvo
Will stalk for money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
The fuel ceu provides a ground for the fuel pump relay in the LH cars we have over here. The power does not pass through the ecu. It provides the turn on ground after it sees the ignition system is making spark.

For a basic spark check you can put a test light on the coil terminal 1 and see if it switches the coil. The light should flash if it is. Then you can use the meter to see if the signal for engine speed is being sent to the fuel ecu. If it is and you get no ground on the fuel pump relay then it may be the fuel pump ground circuit has failed in the fuel ecu.
I know I get spark, and when cranking I get about 11v at the fuse behind the battery, and about 8v by the time it makes it to the place shown, and 0v by the time I check at the pump (I'm going to re-check at the pump when I get help later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Front probing is bad!!!!!
why? because it stretches out the plug? it was a nice fit, and I have no trouble bending them back down.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

It's Motronic like the early 760 turbo

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

That ground could be bad and cause a low voltage reading. Try another ground. Like the ring on the cig lighter.

Use a test lamp also. A meter won't show if there is inadequate CURRENT but may show 12v.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote