• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Beluga Whale: Brendonak's Alaska '79 245 Build

K-jets are better for cold weather when working right, which is no big deal really. I'd advocate keeping them, if possible. Much less loss in economy and better engine wear characteristics than the LH-jet. A block heater and oil/water heat exchanger might be wise for cold running, along with a mild battery blanket, plastic tray, metal splash pan with vents blocked off, and something to block off the radiator (sheet of stainless steel for damper areas of AK?).

The parts car is an '84. LH2.0, high compression, automatic B23F engine, raised trim on the doors, DL model car with enamel paint. Nice harness in the parts car, pity to blow it open, it has value..ones in that cold weather condition updated volvo tag are very very hard to find. Pity to part it. Auto-auto is a fast swap.

I'd make it work right with what it came with more or less. B23 engine can be a nice powerplant change, if so desired. It can work well in an early car as a seamless swap with no signs of anything different with the original CI (k-jet) FI.

K-jets or conjoined manifold with airbox and functional (not too warm once "hot") preheat and a good set of stroms or SUs are the ticket for the cold. Uncle Olaf had it right. LH EFI is crap in the cold. Starts and idles good. Hard on economy, hard on the motor.

the problem is the "working right" part. My 80 kjet 240 wasn't super great for cold starting it would freeze up, I also had an 84 Saab with kjet which was even more useless. I have a 87 saab turbo right now with LH and it starts up perfect no matter what. You're right about the SUs my 144 always starts up in the cold!

A much needed update:

Got the bumpers and wheels back from the powdercoater, I really like the black bumpers. Winter wheels are still white, but more permanent over my rattlecan job. Summer wheels are 7 series in a gunmetal finish and I'm going with white letter tires.

Found an 88 that I pulled the motor and engine wiring harness out of. Picked up a T5 from swedishK, and all my T5 swap parts from Josh at Yoshifab. That stuff should be in this week.

IT RUNNNNSSSS OOOHHH MYYYY GOD!!

T5 is such an amazing transmission compared to the m46

2.2 starts so easily, pulls so much harder than a weak running b21

IMG_20140319_214519_143_zpsaae1e93c.jpg

IMG_20140227_140736_709_zpsc26970e8.jpg

IMG_20140222_221918_242_zpsfaa11011.jpg

IMG_20140224_163817_049_zps5037598b.jpg

Full engine and fueling from 1988 lh2.2, WC T5 and custom one price driveshaft, yoshifab adapter

TY brah, I'll look into that. I kinda like the M47 knob, throws some people off being so short and looks oem-ish

More pics

Car is super quick now, lighter in the front end too. Amazing what a respective increase in power can do. I know it's not a turbo, but with that T5, one peice driveshaft, and no more AC stuff it's proper quick.

Makes me have second thoughts about considering getting this:

Car is super quick now, lighter in the front end too. Amazing what a respective increase in power can do. I know it's not a turbo, but with that T5, one peice driveshaft, and no more AC stuff it's proper quick.

if you think that car is quick you would crash an STI in about four minutes.

plus it's got more than two wheels so i know you can't handle it.

Thanks to your help!

It's funny, now that I've done this swap I feel I could do one in an evening, ha!

I can't get over how great the T5 is, I want a taller shifter though, get it back to stock M46 height.

Still have some loose ends to button up, the speedo seems high, seeping some coolant, and I want to make sure the drivetrain is sound on the highway.

Updates:

Been a little while. Just driving the car all summer. Towing dirt bikes, multiple 6hr road trips.

Issues:
At the very end of the summer my inline fuel pump crapped out, had to tow it with a dolley 8hrs (round trip) back to town. $300 for a brand new Bosch pump installed and we're back.

T5 leaks from the rear mainshaft seal. Easy fix I'm told, another project for the winter.

Things of note:
My rear end is geared for the moon. The T5 WC has decent ratios if you're converting an automatic, but the M46 240's have a super low rear end. Currently trying to get the diff ratios from an auto car.

Pay attention to the speedo gear going into the T5, mine is too small and my speedo is reading high, about 10mph at 70.

Installed the front lip from a GT, need to paint it though.

Some pics:

Plans?

Yes, contemplating LH2.4 swap. Need to tidy up loose ends, wire fog lights, clean up the harness from removal of k-jet.

I'm thinking of possibly making it kinda Harlequin-esque with pastel colors.

hurrr. i meant - what style? there's a set down here you might be able to weasel out of my coworker.

Ah, myb

911, polished lips and spokes. At least that's the set that's for sale in town.

Since I've got the D90's I'd like to get another set that'll have the same offset for my "stance"

Back