• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

E85 ????

THanks man. Ordering a test kit its cheap off of amazon. Then gonna talk with mfa about getting tank set at my house. See if I can get some numbers out of the salemans first.

rps20190920_153145_180.jpg

51 to 83% ethanol, no mention of water content....

15% old gas and the rest is water

Last edited:
51 to 83% ethanol, no mention of water content....

15% old gas and the rest is water

This station typically tests out to e54, other stations test out at e80.

Either way I have been using this station for 10 years without any issues so it cannot be that bad. Nevermind that I have also had this fuel sitting in my tank for over 18months and the car started and ran just fine with it also.

I am sure if I asked them they could provide with the data sheets for each fill.

our stations usually don't have a lot of water in the e85. the ethanol content does varry a bit, 65 to 85% (but, it's also hard to get a full idea since you've always got a couple gallons of pump floating around in the tank if you constantly switch)

it's a good idea to test the fuel periodically, but if you're not running it on the ragged edge (and you probably shouldn't with pump e85) AND you don't really have a means to adjust with the varrying content (as is the case with lh 2.4), it's not a big deal to constantly monitor it.. cause you can't really do anything about it either way.

what we've done with good results is put a couple gallons of e85 in with a tank of 93, you can get most of the benefits without vastly skewing the fuel system (hell I did it in my R, it's completely stock. no issues. mpg dropped a little bit but the car ran smoother and more consistent under load). I'd probably try that before I jumped off the deep end and swapped to huge injectors and bigger mafs, etc.

yesterday i went to the big city. I filled tank with 9 gallons of 93 and 3.5 gallons of E85. Car ran awesome all the way home. No Ping. Im going to run that for a while.

our stations usually don't have a lot of water in the e85. the ethanol content does varry a bit, 65 to 85%

The Thunderbolt fuel is double distilled to eliminate the water content that is present in all ethanol used in pump gas, that is the difference. I am told there is only one other distiller in the US that uses this process.

The ethanol the fuel distributors use is mass produced and they don't take the time to remove the water. (they don't double distill) Also that ethanol is not stored in sealed containers, it is stored in rail cars in the sun. Where it is heated and cooled daily absorbing more water until it is used. Where it is then transferred to a gas station where it sits until you pump it, absorbing more water.

So besides water content in pump gas, remember gas content is not specified in pump E85, and the gas is only present to keep you from drinking it. One would assume 15% good gas. However the octane of the gas is not critical as the ethanol raises it. So this gives the distributors an opening to rid themselves of any old or substandard pump gas. Which may have MTBE or any other collection of hazardous waste that smells/tastes like gas.

The Thunderbolt fuel does not use pump gasoline to meet the feds restriction, it uses a complex hydrocarbon of their own design.

Back