• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No longer mom's grocery getter(1991 244)

Eventually. The fuel part I can pretty much do on the fly, being NA I don't have to be at triple digit speeds to get a decently long pull, haha. The ignition tuning I'll have to play with on there though, for sure. And toy around with cam timing.

If I make it down to WM2.0 I'll dyno it then, otherwise it'll probably be another few months.

I don't think it'll pick up that much power. I might actually eclipse 140whp, but that's about it. Something is a restriction that makes the power fall off at 4400rpm or whatever it is, regardless. I think it's a combo intake and exhaust manifold deal. Who knows.

And, damn straight it's a grocery getter! The poor thing. It's clean today though! After months and months of being super dirty Pat and I gave it a wash. Looks much better, but really really needs a proper detail job. :-( I did have someone pull up and ask me what paint it was though and said he thinks he's going to paint his fastback that color. Really liked it. It is a pretty sweet color, when it's clean...

I should be getting my own laptop tomorrow so more fun tuning can commence!

Would you benefit from two of them ostrich things? I know tweekin on my car fuel and timing go hand in hand.

It'd be nice, for sure, but I don't have the capability to tune the EZK bin yet. Soon, but not yet. It's definitely true that the two really need to be done hand in hand. I can get the fuel pretty close though and it should be good nuff. We'll see.

Maybe. Haha, I might just leave it at this level and focus on spending money on other stuff. But that wouldn't be any fun... Because I'd REALLY like the torque curve to hold a little flatter a little longer... The thing about upgrading the intake is I will also have to do something different for the exhaust manifold to really get the benefits. And then another damn camshaft... :rofl:

If I was doing it again though, I'd leave the valves stock, have some minor port cleaning done, a special valve grind done, and leave the rest of the head alone aside from maybe some grooves. That way it'd be a much better daily driver head with a much stronger, more efficient idle, a better low end(800-2000rpm), better gas mileage and probably higher compression. With more peak power, especially down low, than what I'm currently doing. It wouldn't have better pull at high rpm, but the whole powerband would be beefier. It'd be an awesome, efficient daily.

EDIT: I'd gladly take the time to test one of Nathan's manifolds on my car, tinker with the tune a bit, and dyno it. And maybe keep it, depending on the results, haha.

Last edited:
Some other fun stuff I thought of...

With the new version of ipdown's software we should be able to adjust the fuel shutoff rpm on decell. Right now, when you raise the idle speed of the car to about 1000rpm, it also raises the injector kick-off point(when throttle is closed) to 2000rpm from the 1500 it normally would kick them off at. So, if going for maximum mileage with the injectors turned off, you can raise the idle speed up(to decrease the resistance to airflow and allow you to coast longer off the throttle without slowing down as much) and adjust the injector kick-off(I don't know the proper terminology) to really low rpm. That way you can coast for a long time with the injectors turned off. Granted, you won't have much engine braking, but it's something that could easily be adjusted on the fly while you drive, so you can have an obnoxiously high idle which would make it so the car barely slows down, but the injectors are off. Tricky tricky, I wonder how that'll work.

The other fun factor is, when you go to the track you can set your idle speed relatively low(like stock, or a hair under), so that your rpms drop faster in between shifts, allowing you to shift faster without putting as much stress on your synchros! I know I hate shifting from 1-2 fast on my m47, especially with the higher idle that makes it take longer for the rpms to drop in between. :) Fun fun.

i really need to start playing with this ostrich stuff. I think i might bump it up to next on the list and let the rubber bushings rot a little more

Which rubber bushings?

Also, the 87* thermostat and detonation has pretty much been a non-issue... I only get some light detonation when I slam it from cruise to near WOT after being under load for a while(up long hills). It'll be worse when outside temperatures go up, but at the same time I think I'll be able to tweak the fueling so that it doesn't go as lean right then and has better throttle response. I don't know how yet, but I eventually well, I expect!

I'm really upset about what happened but don't want to talk about it right now. Those of you who know, please don't discuss my car at this point...

Thanks for understanding guys. I'll post up more when I'm ready.

I'm really upset about what happened but don't want to talk about it right now. Those of you who know, please don't discuss my car at this point...

Thanks for understanding guys. I'll post up more when I'm ready.

What kind of slack-jawed pussy **** is this? You bump your thread from the dead but "don't want to talk about it"? What the hell happened?

Wrecked it, fixable but not without some frame work in the left front. Need to figure out what to do. I figure if I posted in here that I don't want to talk about it yet I wouldn't have to say that everywhere else.

Back