• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ovlov Gp-A 240T update

Rear brakes

Hi grogthomas,
The standard ATE rear brakes were fine, as on a racecar, braking at 1G approx 75% of the car's mass is on the front wheels.
The Volvo S40 Supertourers had huge front rotors, 360mm dia if I remember correctly, and standard Volvo road car rear brakes.
15 years ago when I was racing in Improved Production, one of my fellow competitors in a Suzuki Swift had NO rear brakes. He reckoned that the weight saving was worth more than the loss of braking, particularly as his inside rear wheel was 4" off the ground on turn in!

Hi grogthomas,
The standard ATE rear brakes were fine, as on a racecar, braking at 1G approx 75% of the car's mass is on the front wheels.
The Volvo S40 Supertourers had huge front rotors, 360mm dia if I remember correctly, and standard Volvo road car rear brakes.
15 years ago when I was racing in Improved Production, one of my fellow competitors in a Suzuki Swift had NO rear brakes. He reckoned that the weight saving was worth more than the loss of braking, particularly as his inside rear wheel was 4" off the ground on turn in!

IT Woadwacerer..where do you get your bizarre fantasies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqo4Lc8xthM

Go to 40 seconds..BIG f***ing vented discs and aluminum 4 pot Brembo, Maybe Alcon calipers...
Probably 1" thick rotor, probably 4 x 1.25" pistons or progressive 2 x 1.125 and 2 x 1.25
A still photo

970.jpg

Why do you write such silly things? There is no shame in saying "I don't know" but what good comes from a flat declarative statement that is obviously Bullsh!t?

Another piccie just in case you didn't catch the last
968.jpg

EDIT..Richard? Is this really you? I'm shocked..You should know better..You had that ex-works 240 Group A car and even then in the early 80s they were using various AP and Alcon 4 pots on the rear and 2 piece disc/hat...I'm I misreading something? Supertouring on stock reads is what I read but did I miss something?

Last edited:
EDIT..Richard? Is this really you? I'm shocked..You should know better..You had that ex-works 240 Group A car [....]

Ummm.... JFTR, not a works car, exactly.

Richard's car - the 4th 240T Group A in Australia - was the ex-Laurie Hazelton car, which was built by Mister Hazelton using a 242GT shell sourced from one of the six Volvo Australia entries in the Repco Round Australia Rally cars. This one was driven by Frank Johnson in 1979. While running 3rd in the Repco, the car broke a diff, and ended up being parked at A Class Dismantlers in Sydney for a long time. (The above info is from a copy the 'Volvo 240 Group A Owners' Manual', written by Richard, one copy of which he gave to me).

To be precise, Richard's car wasn't a works Group A car - it was once a works rally car, with a seam welded shell, and the car was originally a 1979 YM demonstrator imported into OZ by Volvo Australia in 1978, prior to the release of the 242GT over here. But Richard's (ex) car didn't have a number of things which the 'works' Group A cars had.

The three OZ works Group A cars - Mark Petch's original LHD car, the Eggenburger RHD test car, and AVDT #44, the RHD car built by John Sheppard in July-August of 1986 - were flown out of OZ in November 1986 aboard an Antonov An-225 and flown back to Sweden, where Hans-?ke S?derqvist prepared to race them in Europe.

Mark purchased AVDT #44 at VROM a few years back, and that one has come home. I believe Mark has also purchased the RHD ex-Eggenburger test car too, while Richard's car was sold, sold again, and ended up in France AFAIK.

Last edited:
Back