• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230TB + WP replacement

240-FAN

I am planning on doing my TB+WP replacement and swap out the stock M cam with a B cam and Dale's gear.

Here's the stuff on my list that I plan on buying:
1. Timing belt + water pump kit (Contitech) that comes with tensioner and seals - TBKIT032WP-OEM
2. Counterhold Tool (unless someone can suggest a way where I don't have to pay the $50)
3. Lisle seal puller (again, is it possible to use a screw driver and pry the 3 seals out or is using this seal puller the preferred method?)
4. VCG - Victor Reinz acceptable or should I buy the Elring brand?
5. Camshaft seal (Reinz p/n#1306333) - is this needed? I did not find anything in the write up I am going to follow about cam swap from 2005
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=626623&postcount=64

And this for measuring the valve clearance (post#21)https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=223053

Anything I am missing on my list?

For #2, I was recommended here to use a paint can opener, like this:
3ms73Yi.jpg

It worked great for pulling old seals, and the hardware store I visited gave me one for free.

I would personally use volvo OE seals for cam/aux seals. Spendy but worth it.

That paint can opener works well for removing the old seal. But if you?re doing a cam swap the caps will be off anyway and it?ll only be needed for aux seal and crank seal.

Good point on the tensioner. It's in the kit I ordered. I will be going to the local dealership to get the cam shaft seal, crankshaft seal and the intermediate shaft seal. Ditching the Elring ones that will come with the kit based on some sage advice here.
The rear cam seal? I didn't even have that on my radar...

Good point on the tensioner. It's in the kit I ordered. I will be going to the local dealership to get the cam shaft seal, crankshaft seal and the intermediate shaft seal. Ditching the Elring ones that will come with the kit based on some sage advice here.
The rear cam seal? I didn't even have that on my radar...

The rear cam seal is super cheap, even the volvo OE one.

Planning on doing these in the next week or two. Just ordered the seals from the local dealership. Holy crap, those 3 seals are expensive!!!

OE seals are the best option. Elring Cam seal won't stay put in the bore (maybe slightly smaller than OE?)

If you're swapping the cam you don't need to "pull" the seal. Once the cap is off just pull it out. I use a small dab of RTV at each corner of the front and rear cam caps. Helps seal the front and rear and helps with the VGC sealing. Never had one leak after that.

I use an air impact wrench to loosen and tighten the crank bolt. Lots of folks will say that's a bad idea... works for me, though. If the impact won't do it, roll the motor over with a breaker bar and impact socket on the crank bolt. That'll loosen it.

Sounds good. Thanks for the additional information guys!
On the down side, it looks like IPD is out of their valve shim kit. Are there any other places I get the kit from? FCP does not have them and I would prefer not having to spend $200 on buying the kit.

Not sure where you're located, but you may want to check your local Volvo/Indy mechanics.

Local Volvo shop to me charged 80 bucks for a valve adjustment. That included 3 shims.

Not sure where you're located, but you may want to check your local Volvo/Indy mechanics.

Local Volvo shop to me charged 80 bucks for a valve adjustment. That included 3 shims.

$80??? That's a pretty good deal I would say. Is it as simple as just removing the valve cover and adjusting the lash?
I'm located in MI. So far I've been hard pressed to find any local shop which charges less than $100 plus parts, fees, etc.

Does the 240 2.3L ever have valve clearances in the range of 0.025" - 0.026"?
I found a set that goes from 0.005" to 0.020" on Amazon for real cheap with great reviews.

IPD is starting to look like a non option at this point....

Ive read its best to aim for .016-.018, I shot for the tighter clearances overall. .016 on all except #4 which was .015 on a cold motor.

Back