• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT or B230F+T budget build

Schmitty57195

I?m looking to do a budget build with a redblock, probably will be sourced out of a junkyard. Motor will be going into my 240
The cheaper the better. I?m looking to get around 250hp to the wheels.
I will mostly be doing some street racing/roll racing (closed roads, obviously), but it will be a street car that I will have to be able to drive to work, but I have a truck so this won?t always be my daily.
Trans: T5
Rear end: G80 locker?
Turbo: Junkyard Garrett T3, rebuild it myself.
Open to other abs any suggestions, I?m new here so if I messed something up please let me know (show mercy lol). Thanks!!!

B230FT block from a '94-ish or later 940 turbo.

You can chip the ECU with parts from thelostartof (a user on the forum).

Rear end depends on your budget. Opinions here on the G80 seem mixed but it is the best option for a budget build. If you are willing to put up the cash then you can get an LSD for a Dana 30 axle.

B230FT block from a '94-ish or later 940 turbo.

You can chip the ECU with parts from thelostartof (a user on the forum).

Rear end depends on your budget. Opinions here on the G80 seem mixed but it is the best option for a budget build. If you are willing to put up the cash then you ca get an LSD for a Dana 30 axle.

What parts can I all use from the 940 turbo? Radiator, intercooler, oil return line, hoses, rear end, electronics, etc. thanks for the response!!!

The radiator and intercooler may be too big to fit in the 240 without modification but it can be done if you don't mind a bit of cutting. The drop in swap is a 740/760 turbo intercooler, brackets, and piping. If your car isn't already LH 2.4 you will want the wiring harness. The ECU and EZK (ignition module) in the passenger footwell. Grab the G80 out of the rear if it is in good shape.

The oil lines and radiator hoses would be a good thing to grab as the turbo water cooling lines hook into the lower radiator hose and the reservoir hose. This is if your turbo is water cooled.

The 940 has a distributor mounted on the back of the cylinder head that won't clear the 240 firewall. You will have to use the distributor/oil pump auxiliary shaft from your 240 motor and transfer it to the 940 motor so you can mount the 240 distributor in the block.

The air filter placement has a few problems. Most people run a cone filter where the turbo airbox would go. The 940 can be modified to fit (depth is the issue) if you are careful when reshaping the plastic. Some people modify a 240 turbo air filter by removing the K-jet bits. Others find a 240 diesel air filter box.

While you are at the yard you could also grab injectors from an 850 turbo if you don't want to run a resistor pack. NA 240 injectors and 850 turbo injectors are high impedance, 740 and 940 turbo injectors are low impedance and require a resistor pack.

Really just grab whatever you think you can use that is in good shape. Worst case scenario is that you sell the parts on the forum, craigslist, or ebay.

Use the For Sale and Wanted sections on the forum to get whatever you can't get new or at the yard. Plenty of people have parts hoards.

Welcome a board, read up on links above. A lot of good information. I plus T my 240 a few yrs ago. I had a lot of fun with that setup. Npr intercooler- 385 cc injectors- V cam- 3 inch ex. With +90 ex. Manifold and tloa chips on 2.4 system. You will surprise a lot people with a similar setup. If you have any questions let me know. I’m not as experienced as the others but I’ll help you all I can.

Welcome a board, read up on links above. A lot of good information. I plus T my 240 a few yrs ago. I had a lot of fun with that setup. Npr intercooler- 385 cc injectors- V cam- 3 inch ex. With +90 ex. Manifold and tloa chips on 2.4 system. You will surprise a lot people with a similar setup. If you have any questions let me know. I’m not as experienced as the others but I’ll help you all I can.

Any idea how much power your putting down? How much did it cost you? :nod:

Back