• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230ET - identification and FT compatibility

NzEstate

I have a b230et in my 89 wagon, I have read some info about the 9mm rods, but some mixed messaging around wether they all have them or not. Can anyone tell me a bit more about this motor from the sticker on the front or is there a website I can jam the numbers in?

Here in NEw Zealand I can only source a FT top end gasket kit-will this fit or are they differint?

Thanks

Your best bet is to inspect the engine internally. I've never heard of a web site where the change over in rods is accurately listed. The generally agreed change over is around 89-90. But I've never heard of a set in stone engine number or date for it.

The gasket kit will work fine.

An '89 B230ET engine would have part number 1289324,1289325 or 1289327. The last 3 digits of the engine number are on the timing cover. The entire number is stamped into the block under the thermostat.

If your block has welch or disc type freeze plugs it's a center thrust crank with 9mm rods. If it has cup type plugs it will have a rear thrust crank and 13mm rods.

The parts catalog lists the same head gasket set for B230E, B230ET, B230F, B230FT/GT, part number 270689.

Awesome thank you for your help, it’s a 1289325 with the cups I believe. Any common problems/known failure points I should be aware of?
Going to take the head off and send it to town for some love as the head gasket has a minor leak I think. It’s the 531 head.

Back