• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Fast idle upon start, mostly when cold.

Johnnya101

Hello all,

This issue is on a 1988 240DL.

I've had some high idle issues in the past. During the summer, when temps are around 90, sometimes my 240 will have a high idle shortly after starting. Usually a quick jab of the throttle it will sink back down into the normal range. By high, I'm guessing somewhere around 1000 RPM, maybe a little less. Sometimes after driving and putting it in park, it will be idling high. Again, USUALLY jabbing the throttle fixes it, but sometimes it won't.

This winter I've noticed this happening more and more. When temps are low, around 40 or so degrees, sometimes it will get a fast idle, sometimes not. When it's well below freezing, I don't know, 10 and below? It gets a high idle almost every time after starting. Jabbing the throttle will make it idle normal again for a second or two. It sometimes starts climbing higher and will stop at I'd guess 1400? rpm.

I'm not sure where to start with this. Does this sound like a gummed up throttle issue? I've read about an air valve or something by the intake? What would you recommend to look at first going by these symptoms?

To sum up:
When hot, rarely has high idle, and if so, jabbing the throttle quick fixes it.
When cool-cold, sometimes has high idle, jabbing throttle usually fixes.
When very cold, almost always has high idle, jabbing throttle rarely fixes.

High idle in all cases disappears after a short drive, and rarely comes back. These to me I would think point towards a sticky throttle, but again, not sure and would like some opinions first

Thank you for any help. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Going by this chart (http://www.nuceng.ca/bill/volvo/database/ecu.htm), its an LH2.2. It is all stock and original, so not a newer engine or anything.

I believe I read the IAC is a metal can looking thing by the intake or something? Probably original and never been cleaned, so wouldnt surprise me at all.

I will also add, if it helps, performance is excellent on the road. Acceleration great. Great response from throttle. No weird sounds or roughness. No stalling.

Last edited:
Will do, Ill try and get to it tomorrow and Ill update. Just spray inside and just work it a bit...? Anything special that needs to be looked at or cleaned specifically?

Orrr try unplugging the iac when they idle is normal..and see if it still acts up it will idle a little slow when cold

Back