• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder (CFlo's) Pea Green 1975 245 DL - Survivor Wagon

Yes, for sure. Will be there either way. Even if we have to drive the V60. But the 242 will be running for this year; it hath been proclaimed.

Hey man are you interested in buying back that dash pad? You may have noticed on the previous page I scored a complete dash so now I have redundant pads. :-D

I could haul it back up to Davis if you want!

Yeah since I don't have one for my other wagon. Thanks!

I love your car.
Thanks for the little details in this thread. It's great!

No problem; I appreciate all the feedback and comments. For sure there will always be the temptation to modify this thing to the extreme, but for now I'm digging its survivor vibe and want to keep it running and enjoy it (vs. tearing apart and turning into another never-ending build). I'll keep all the little details coming.

Yeah since I don't have one for my other wagon. Thanks!

Cool man, I will bring it to Davis for sure then. I couldn't pass up this complete dash since it will fix the hacking that was done for the radio, and all the hard plastic stuff is much nicer than what's in the car now.

Quick update on the green monster...the transmission continues leaking on my driveway; I think it's coming from the shifter rod bushing as Ian suggested. Need to get that fixed but for now I've been topping it up periodically. The M41 shifts nicely but is noisy even when full of fluid. I used some Redline D4 ATF that was laying around to top it off last time.

I now have some pretty fresh Bilsteins and ipd wagon lowering springs that will go on this thing soon, along with new rubber bushings all around.

Took the car down to the Pelican Parts cars & coffee in February but forgot to post pics. The other shades of green were represented by a 911R and 918 Spyder owned by Graham Rahal, apparently.

G4lCkFwl.jpg

OYCVigdl.jpg

FMSSxPol.jpg

1yNmeqgl.jpg

UMY9jzll.jpg

Otherwise, just been driving it periodically. Starts right up every time, even after sitting for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Posting the other pics I have of the car when I rescued it. Had to work around some nasty yellow jacket nests around the headlight bezel when swapping the tow bar. Owner wanted to spray them I said no because then they would be pissed! You can usually work around them. One nest was in the wheel well and he swapped the tires! That 83 car next to it had a big nest in it but didnt actually see the size of it. This was 5 miles west of town in the middle of nowhere too.
20150822_141546_zps5lfw56fa.jpg

In Cortez by the ace hardware
20150822_154215_zpsz5w1cvef.jpg

Gas station in Green river UT.
20150822_190027_zpsd2zcd2dd.jpg

By the Burger king Gas station in Green River, UT
20150822_191537_zpstgf351b1.jpg

Truck stop in Fernley, NV
20150823_105045_zpst2hc7pad.jpg

20150823_105057_zpsdrqqfxnj.jpg

20150823_105113_zpsb5iuevyd.jpg

Look at that paint Hah!
20150823_105128_zpsloljvqmx.jpg

At the hobby shop on Travis afb.
20150825_185642_zps3mrq6lrt.jpg

20150825_185642_zps3mrq6lrt.jpg

20150911_182010_zpsa4mljies.jpg

Im glad it found a home with you guys and you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Cool Luke, thanks for posting those. Most people who see the car have a hard time believing it was pulled out of a field in Colorado, but thanks to you I have photographic evidence!

Definitely enjoying this thing. It's more convenient than my Land Cruiser for hauling long stuff around.

Update on the green beast and more stuff getting checked off of the stage zero list.

Took the car into Ian & Eric at Hi Performance Auto, to see if they could diagnose/fix the transmission leak which was getting worse by the week. I got tired of leaving a big puddle and didn't want to risk damaging the trans. So they pulled out the M41 and found that the shift selector rod bushing was completely missing from the trans top cover. Shifter was sloppy too, so that's partially to blame. After more investigation they found that the speedo output was also leaking, and that the 1st gear synchro was wearing strangely; the dogs were cutting a groove into the OD of the synchro. This explains the gear grind going into 1st - I thought maybe the M41 never even had a 1st gear synchro - silly me.

Got it back yesterday and the thing shifts much more positively now, with no grinding, and no more leak. Ian found the offending loose shock mounting bolt in the rear and tightened that as well. So the car is quieter too. I'm happy and will keep driving it regularly.

Gratuitous pic of the 245 back at home with the 242.

lNks4Qyl.jpg

Or, a stock "new" 140, for that matter? Since, except for the modified rear suspension, the new front suspension, the dash, and the front clip, the 1975 240 is pretty much a 1974 140.

It's funny, the '75 doesn't feel as old or slow as I expected it to. Definitely at a disadvantage compared to a later car. But if you just want to cruise around, the B20 isn't really bad at all. The 4.11 gears help it keep up with traffic. It always fires right up immediately and it's smooth and comfortable. In terms of feel and driving experience and intangible stuff like that, it's about halfway between our old 1966 1800S and the way my 1981 242 drove when it was stock.

Hehe, that's cool - it is pretty dirty right now and needs to be buffed out again, but glad you enjoyed it. I still need to see your awesome blue 75 at some point.

Ditto. To both.

Sounds like a nice balance, John. The B20 seems to be a more involving engine than the newer OHC motors.

Yeah you have to get your foot into it more and rev it out a bit more. Fun in that "slow car fast" kind of way.
The basic 240 goodness is there already, just not refined as in a later car.
This one doesn't keel over like an old schooner either; it has ipd bars installed front & rear.
Waaaay more drivable than my '84 Diesel wagon was!

Davis prep 2018...so much buffing...

Recently did a quick brake job replacing all pads, flushing and bleeding. Left rear caliper bleeder screw wouldn't budge so that one didn't get bled, but 3 outta 4 ain't bad. Replaced the steering rack with a later used manual CAM, did an alignment, general maintenance stuff.

Then lots and lots of rubbing. Until it was shiny.

Itdet6Yl.jpg

Nhe0Vcjl.jpg

f5GVp16l.jpg

Rsz6Conl.jpg

GxOcki9l.jpg

The color is quite a bit deeper and darker now.

Back