• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you think

nickvolvo746

1990 760 turbo---302,000 miles, still pretty good though.

Just another noob trying to make his antique go vroom.

Below, I have an outline for my not so master plan for what I want and need to do to my car to ensure it has a healthy life. I am particularly interested in what yall will think of the turbo and transmission idea I have at the bottom, but any input here would be greatly appreciated (and I already look at every post I can for guidance, I am simply trying to be less of a noob and maybe some of you learned folk out there enjoy schooling kids like me). Tell me what to do, what not to do, tell me im an idiot, show me your ways!

In college right now so there is no chance of working on the car until may, so I want a nice plan of action.

WHATS ALREADY BEEN DONE (very short list, its embarrassing)
-Boost gauge
-calipers, pads, rotors in the front
-stupid but nice wood panel for the spare wheel hatch
-swapped out powered leather seats with manual cloth
-fixed radio antennae
-fixed seat belts
-

What I plan to DEFINITELY do and probably should do over the summer:
-new spark plugs (good ones)
-as many new hoses as possible
-new air filter, get rid of the box and put on a cone
-blow off valve for cool noises (already got one from my other car so no money spending here)
-coolant flush
-ATF flush
-sea foam the entire thing and then do oil change (will take off cat for this, I hear they can get clogged with carbon, also I wanna hear it scream)
-also oil cooler flush
-reinstate my manual boost controller (ran into some problems where the boost would cut, likely due to bad hose, not enough fuel, not really sure, like I said, noob
-install wideband sensor
-brake fluid change
-pads+rotors
-blower fan for AC/HEAT
-check turbo for signs of wear/play (relatively new turbo stock turbo, around 20-30k on it now)
-find and fix oil leak or leaks

What I plan to MAYBE do, but perhaps should not bother with:
-fix sun roof (currently gets stuck), possibly make it manual crank?
-add a light bar or other LED lights somewhere discrete to add visibility at night
-upgrade turbo (I already have a mitsu 16g that is on my 740 (it might need a rebuild, we shall see), along with the manifold and a downpipe, but no exhaust system yet. Im in Jersey so I dont need a CAT and honestly I might just straight pipe it for a little while)
-take out fuel pump and check it out, maybe clean it if need be
-new injectors
-switch to better tranny (I have one on my 740 that was from an NA car (sorry, no clue what model it is, but it is auto and has the whole 4 gears and then that extra "gear" for lower rpms on the highway. it is also pinned so as to shift faster and save the clutches. I will probably take the pin out of first gear cause theres no point in it clunking the way it does from park or neutral, but its nice for the rest of the gears.
-new tune (much more research needs to be done for this one, I have zero clue how the ECU works its magic, if you know a good thread that will teach me please refer me

If you read all this, youre a baller, I love you, and you also have almost as much time to kill as I do so high five mate! (why is my winter break so long)

Cheers!

Back