• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 front end on my 740

kevro

I would really like to upodate my car 1990 740t with an s90 front end or something similiar. i am able to find random pics, but no info so far. anyone know the whole process or some of it?
Thanks
KEvin

costs alot

I attempted the conversion.

just parts alone made me decide to drop it.

but its not that hard, just lot of money cause they didn't sell that many S90 in North America, and few of them end up in junkyard.

^^ Juha did a 940 front end conversion.

its pratically a bolt on , it doesn't require much modification other than the bumper support.

S90 front end require to chop inner fender support, bumper support, healights bracket, and if u want to use S90 hood, u need to modifie the firewall.

For the last few years I was looking into it. Parts aren't that much, you just need to look. for 90+ the stock hood works with the fenders, the bumper is the only hard part to put on. If you want the S90 i think some plates needed to be welded for the hood i believe i spoke with Peter M on it, I have sourced a front clip but I am not planning it on the car I have now.

It takes time to install it and thats about it, unless you have a pre 90 car.

Late.

Ok so I am looking around to determine whether the windshields are different from the 940 to 960, and whether the post 95 960 hood is the same as the pre 95 960/760 hood. Welp they appear to be identical;
vall02_022.jpg

This picture if of the hood on a 940.
vall02_007.jpg

The hoods look the same, if you look closely you can use any hood from a 760/960 88-98. Odd that volvo never seemed to change the hoods for safety reasons. That is also odd is that you can use a 940 hood in conjusntion with the front of a V90. Instead of the hood comming up the the windshield it meets a cowl and the winshield wipers are mounted on the cowl instead of below the hood. I am doing this hood mod for sure. I don't plan on goind as far a V90 front end, but I like the way the hood that goes up the the windshield looks better, and the way the windshield wipers tuck under, looks really sharp. If you look at this car you can see that the fender design as others said doesn't have to be changed if you own a 940 or 90+ 740 seems to work too. This car oviously uses the same fenders but uses a 740/940 hood:
vall02_069.jpg

I don't think you need to touch the firewall or change the windshield since there are some cars with stock 940 winshields and stock 940 wipers just tucked under the longer style hood.
I hope Juha doesn't mind me posting his pictures, I would use pictures of my car if I had a digital camera. I will make sure to take pictures of my car in future examples. I don't like posting Juha's pictures, so if he wants me to remove them I would absolutely do that.

The difference between 940 and 760 '88+/960/90 hoods is actually quite big. Fenders are different, a-pillars are different, ofcourse the hood is longer, there are no hood springs but hydraulic shocks, the wiper system is completely different and so on. A lot of work.

But as you can see on the last picture (black 700 or 900 converted to s90 -look), this guy has used fenders, bumper, lights and grille from 960/90-series and the hood is from 940. So you can mix the parts.

PS: You can post the pics, no problem, as long as the website address is on them :-).

Cool response. Now looking very carefully I can see that the 960 fenders are a little different than the 940 ones. This is odd since they look almost exactly the same. The white car in the first pic looks just like a 91-94 960 in the US. I plan to almost exactly replicate the look of the white car, but I will keep my all black 'wagon' bumpers. IT looks like the finders have a slight tiny overhang where they meet the hood, in a way that the 940 fenders lack. A-pillars are different? where? Would I have to move the windshied seal down or something? The windscreens seem to be very similar between 940 and 960, just the way the cowl meets it seems a little different on a 940. Is there any way I could do this swap without changing fenders, or would it look silly? I know I have to change the cowl and wipers, but I actually want to, so that is not an issue. Ok so looking very carefully at my also white 940 it appears that the fenders simply meet the A-pillar. On this 940 it looks as though the fender overlaps the windshield a little more. If you are willing to wait a few days I will take some pictures. IT would be nice if you could discribe what I can get away with not changing. Ie. windshield, A-pillar are the big issues. It seems that it just wouldn't work with 940 fenders. Hydraulic shocks must be the rage on euro cars, I prefer the spring. It looks as though you can still open the hood 90 degrees though which is a really cool feature of the 7/9 series volvos.

I say ur best bet is to source the fender, bumper, lights and wiring for it.

the hood is just way too complicated, except if you doing a ground up restoration.

I'm sticking w/my SE look. althought I do wonder wats the drag co-efficient on the S90 compares to 700/900

[quote:1025aa3872] I do wonder wats the drag co-efficient on the S90 compares to 700/900[/quote:1025aa3872]
.30 or .31 on those cars depending on roof rack or sedan or wagon. Very slick indeed. I would bet with no rear spoiler no roof rack seam weld things and cover up some of the plugs on a V90 and you could acheive .29 or .28 or something. Also tucking the wipers as much below the hood and removing headlight washers and that junk will make it roll through the air better. The 945 has a c/d of .32 from the factory so there isn't a ton of improvement to be had, since most V90 are about .31. The post 90 740 is very similar to the 940, but there is a subtle difference in the slope of the headlights and turn signals and such. This is only slight though so the aerodynamic penalty if there is any must likely be small. The pre 90 740 has a c/d of .39 or something I think. Sedans tend to fare worse like the 944 at .33, but they make up for it in weight savings. Tucking up the exhaust and lowering the car tend to make a pretty big difference, it also lets you get the diff out of the airstream. I think you can mix the parts is various ways, so even though the fenders are different between my car and a 94 960 according to Juha and others you can still mix the parts. THis is evidenced by the S90 bumper fenders blah blah blah with a 740 hood on the bottom of my other post as Juha points out. I actually don't really like the S90 look as much as the euro white 900 look in the first picture. I just want to tuck in those wipers and eliminate the air grille in teh cowl. Makes for a neater look. It seems to me that there is virtually no aerodynamic gain between the pre 95 to post 95 960. Ofcourse the rounded fenders will let the air hug them a little better, but the front spoiler is more show then go. Not to say the S90 front spoiler is bad, but if the 940 is .32 and most S90/V90 are .31 or so then that more rounded spoiler must be pretty moot IMHO. What I am now curious about is this rumor that some 960's got an aluminum hood, but it occurs to me that it may not crumple properly if hit when used in conjunction with 940 fenders. This may also be pretty moot though. A lighter hood would always be nice, just need to know which if any cars they came on. It is alot of work, but iff all I had to do is fake the look by mixin the 940 fenders a-pillars blah blah, with a lighter better looking mroe aerrodynamic hood then I am all game. You may wonder why someone interested in aeroddynamics would buy a volvo, but the fact that the c/d is so low on a 940 atleast for a car that looks like a box and can hold so much stuff it is cool to me. Anyway I would like to hear more for sure.
[edit] about the S90 front spoiler, it may be that though the C/d is about the same/ slightly better, that for the same C/d the S90 generates more downforce then teh 940 or pre 95 960. A spoiler expert or someone whois more nuts about aerodynamics than me will have to answer that.[edit/]
[edit edit] Now that I look at it the S90 front end has slightly more frontal area then the 940/960 and a slightly more pronounced lip on the front which would lead me to think that the down force on an S90 would be greater relative to the drag. [edit edit/]
Sorry for sort of turning this into a performance thread, but who say looks and performance can't mesh a little eh?

Yeah, in fact when the 850's came out and Volvo beefed up their Touring Car presence, they gave them estate (wagon y'all) versions of the 850R's as these not only had a lower drag coefficient but also made a really nasty hole in the air behind. Interestingly, the rear lip spoiler is supposed to make a big difference and I think they look good. Got any figures that say wether it increases or decreases drag and by how much anyone???

At the top of the enter post box there is a tool with functions arranged left to right:
B i u [quote:42eca2cbfe]Quote[/quote:42eca2cbfe] [code:1:42eca2cbfe]Code[/code:1:42eca2cbfe] [list:42eca2cbfe]List[/list:u:42eca2cbfe]
  • List=
www.turbovolvo.com
Hit "img" and right click on you image in another window choose "open image in new window" and copy and paste that url after it says then when pasted hit "img" again a it will put after your url {img/}.
So it should look like this:
{img} url where my image can be found.whatever{img/}

The front end conversion is pretty straight-forward....nothing rocket science. The real fun begins when you try to swap a later 760/960 dash into an older 740......I've been mapping wires for about 2 months now. I hope to have the awesome dash (with tilt-wheel) by spring.

:roll:

Swede242, please educate us more! If you've had the bumpers off your car we'd like to know all about it! With photos if possible...

Do you mean late 960/V90 or the earlier version that's like a 940?

Thanks

Back