• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Gl b230 engine swap advice

Moomaneast

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm winding if you can help

I've got a 1990 740 gl with the 2l na engine, I've also bought a1995 940 2.3 turbo

I want to put the b230 in the 740 along with the m90 gearbox from it.

Just some advise would be helpful, I read something about using the flywheel from the m47 in the m90 and using the transmission mount from the 940, do I also need to use the prop Shaft?

The engine I'm hoping will bolt in, I know Ill need the 940 ecu.

Is there anything else I should know about or is it pretty mush as simple as that, I've never done an engine swap before so I'm reliying on you guys to help. I'm going to be completely documenting it so others can see after how to do it.

Thanks guys, Tom

Does you car have bosch fuel injection or regina fuel injection? If it doesn't have bosch fuel injection, computers won't swap over.

Just checked its the b200f so it is bosch

B200F: 2.0 L inline-4, naturally aspirated, Bosch LH-Jetronic 111 hp (83 kW)

Where are you located?
Does the 740 have ABS?
Does the 940 have a thicker key? (Immobiliser)
You will need:
Both computers, the EZK (ICU) and the ECU
Intercooler
All pipes for Intercooler
Battery tray
Wash water canister
Part of wiring loom(to extand the MAF plug)I would swap the full engine loom. Very easy if you know how to do.
Exhaust full
Crossmember gearbox
Drive shaft complete
Airbox

With ABS more complicated

Have a search to member Brotkasten here. He has done similar (F + t)

Good luck, will be a good car. Kay

If it's bosch, computers will swap over. Just swap the engine and trans and you should be good. Use the prop shafts from donor car. Everything is bolt in.

Have a search to member Brotkasten here. He has done similar (F + t)

Well I've done the +T, he wants to go the engine swap way (probably easier lol)

Wo kommst du denn her mocambique-amazone? :) Dein Fahrzeug klingt sehr interessant...

Just some advise would be helpful, I read something about using the flywheel from the m47 in the m90 and using the transmission mount from the 940, do I also need to use the prop Shaft?

Why would you want to change the flywheel? I thought you've got a matching B230FT and M90 gearbox? They will work the same way in the 940 as they did in the 740.

First step would be too identify if the 740 is LH2.2 or LH2.4. If it's LH2.4 you can leave the harness in place and just extend the MAF wiring (For LH2.2 I'm not sure! Use the search function). You also need ballast resistors for the original turbo injectors. I personally used injectors with Part #.: 0280155831 @ 329.8 cc per min they get really close to the original turbo ones and don't need a resistor pack.

Why would you want to change the flywheel? I thought you've got a matching B230FT and M90 gearbox? They will work the same way in the 940 as they did in the 740.
The dual-mass flywheel can get tired, and starts bottoming out under load. Especially with higher boost than stock. It also restricts the available clutch/pressure plate options compared to a solid flywheel. The SRE -712 (dual mass) is usually more expensive and harder to find than e.g. SRE -763 (solid 228mm).

The dual mass wants to go in the bin
You can use the dished M47 flywheel along with a sachs clutch for the late D24 with M90 or
Use a TTV flywheel combined with a 850R clutch and is a better option if you have the budget for it
The gearbox support beam and prop will swap over
ECU's will plug in.

Back