• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New 122s owner having trouble

Slartibartfast

Hello!

I just bought a 1967 122s and have a bit of an issue... the ignition tumbler is seized in position two and there is something blocking the key so I can?t move it to position 3 to push the pin and get it out... I?ve decided to cut the armored coil cable and wire in an ignition switch but what wire on the back of the ignition switch is the ground and if I do this with the accessories still work? Sorry if it?s a dumb question but I?ve always stayed away from electronics before!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I really need to move the car soon though, it’s still at the original owners house and part of the arrangement I made that got me the deal I did was that I get it out now... can you help?

Yes, I am can help.

To begin with, are you sure the car will run? You don't need the ignition key to push it or tow it.

To be honest I spent all my free expendable funds on buying the car! I live 50 miles from where the car is and in Cali that’s an expensive tow! Also my end goal is to hide an ignition key under the dash and install a button start

Not if you have AAA with the plus option.

I ask again, are you sure the car will run?

Please don't hack the coil yet. They are beginning to become hard to find in good condition and you can remove it without damage.

I can tell you how to hot wire the car, but I won't broadcast it to the world.

Please send me a private message with your phone number.

Get ahold of virtually any regular 12 volt coil with both the + and - posts on the top (Amazon coil + post hidden in cable) and wire it in place with the positve post to 12v; leave the Amazon coil in place unconnected.
Momentarily put 12v to the starter solenoid, and she runs...until you remove the 12v from the coil.

When I was much younger, used to steal Amazons, and 1800s, all the time...

If works best for you I can send you, gratis but for shipping, a perfectly good coil just to steal cars and move keyless Amazons, or sell you very reasonably a perfectly good intact used OEM coil/cable/ignition switch if you foolishly go the hack-it-up route, as noted...

Thank you everyone for all the help and guidance to not cut up my new baby! Planetman helped me out massively and im doing it the right way now!

Hello everyone,
I got the Volvo up and running, turned over and started like a champ! I have gone through brakes, replaced all the fluids and was feeling pretty good until i tried the headlights, the running lights all turn on but the low and high beams dont work at all, im horrible with electrics... where should i start?

Keep it simple. Get yourself a voltage meter (they're cheap) and check that you are getting 12V at the headlight plug. Go from there.

A buddy of mine sent his car to a repair shop for malfunctioning headlights only to learn that both bulbs were burned out. That was an easy repair.

Last edited:
Back