• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Limited Slip Differential Swap Volvo 740

Jarods

I pulled a 27 spline LSD from a 1990 Volvo 740 Wagon (tow package) intending to swap it into my Dana 30 front on my 96 Jeep Cherokee XJ.

I thought they were direct swap (with the exception of needing to shave the axle of the Jeep); however, the ring gear on the Volvo LSD is bigger and the LSD wont even fit into the housing of the Jeep front.

Any expertise or identifying information of the Volvo LSD I have would be appreciated.

RWD Volvo's use 2 different rear ends designated 1030 & 1031. 1030 is the same as Dana 30 while 1031 uses a slightly large ring gear. The carrier (LSD) however, is the same so you just need to use your old ring gear. This assumes you have a 3.73 or lower ratio in your Jeep, otherwise you'll need an LSD with a different ring gear offset.

Last edited:
A G80 is still a locker. Not a proper LSD.
If some think a LSD is a limit of 100% you are fine. G80 are good for they made for, and garbage if you want a LSD
My 2c

Happy Sunday, Kay

The Volvo lsd is probably an Eaton G80.

Likely, but not absolutely. My DD now has a PowerLok LSD which was harvested from a 91 740 which was a factory stick car..... even came with the black VOLVO tag about function/lubricant to use. They are rare, but exist.

Thank you for the information.

On the left of this photo is a jeep dana 30 ring gear & assembly and on the right is the Volvo one mentioned above from a 1990 Volvo 740 Wagon.
IMG-7622-1.jpg

That is a G80 locker. And yes, there are clutches in a G-80. They are not a true locker. They are a hybrid. They lock up like a locker, yet, use a clutch pack to do so.

Like 2 many. .. wrote:
They use clutches and they lock up like a locker. The heavy ramps and a set of gears are as a result a LSD with a transfer of 100%: a true locker. Like a welded differential.
Good to help a rwd car on slippery conditions to start. Nothing more.
Overrated
Good night

Unfortunately it will never work with a Jeep. I’ve tried and have several experience (I build differentials for naval war ships FYI)

If you move fast you may be able to sell it back to a Volvo guy. For sale section is just below. Good luck.

Unfortunately it will never work with a Jeep. I?ve tried and have several experience (I build differentials for naval war ships FYI)

If you move fast you may be able to sell it back to a Volvo guy. For sale section is just below. Good luck.

Why not?
Even if I changed the ring gear to the jeep sized one?

It will work fine was just trying to protect the Volvo parts canon lol

The other posters here have your info

Thats very funny. Thanks all for all the info. In the comments of another video it talks about needing to change the ring because the volvo ring is much bigger. thats what threw me off and made me worry I had the wrong part.

G80 is a Dana 30 3.73+ sized carrier. So a Dana 30 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, etc ring gear should work on the Volvo carrier. 3.54 and numerically lower ratio ring gear from a Dana 30 won't work. Not sure that was 100% clear before.

Here's some more info (with measurements/specs):
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=2866200&postcount=10

I think there are 2 different sizes and part numbers for the G80. hiperfauto mentioned it awhile back. There definitely are higher rations available on a G80. Last year I pulled a G80 out of a 1993 240 rear axle that had the 3.31 ring and pinion set in it. That G80 carrier and gear set went over to Sweden or Norway. I can't remember which.

The differential carrier as used for Volvo doesn't change with what ratio is used in the Volvo. It is the Jeeps and other vehicles that change the offset of the differential carrier for different ratios.

I think there are 2 different sizes and part numbers for the G80. hiperfauto mentioned it awhile back. There definitely are higher rations available on a G80. Last year I pulled a G80 out of a 1993 240 rear axle that had the 3.31 ring and pinion set in it. That G80 carrier and gear set went over to Sweden or Norway. I can't remember which.
3.31 volvo axle should have a 3.73 dana 30 carrier. I wouldn't think the G80-equipped axles would be any different.

pfp: mikeP put a -588 truetrac (for dana 30 3.73+ ratio) in stevemd's 3.31 244

http://www.pbase.com/mperry/cars_and_parts&page=6

:e-shrug:

Back