• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Crank case evacuation system

Define "Crank case evacuation system", because I think all cars would qualify as having one.

Redblocks, at least most of them, have a pretty reasonable hole through which they can breathe oily air ... if you don't care about emissions (& your state authority either doesn't or they never check it) then it's not a big deal to put a filter on the end of the standard breather pipe & it works pretty well.

I know that YLD244 either drilled a new hole or used an existing hole, in order to evacuate ... from the head, I think it was, but don't quote me on that. He's been running over 25psi in the past, though.

On my SVO, the lines coming off the crank case go to a catch can and from there a line goes to a fitting on the down pipe. The exhaust gases rushing by create the vaccum that draws the unwanted gas and pressure out of the system.

Im not asking who has a stock plastic box set up.

On my SVO, the lines coming off the crank case go to a catch can and from there a line goes to a fitting on the down pipe. The exhaust gases rushing by create the vaccum that draws the unwanted gas and pressure out of the system.

yeah, IMHO the stock system is pretty poor. Hardly enough for a stock turbo engine.
I've heard mixed reviews about the exhaust venturi evac systems. Do you know how much vacuum it creates for you. What I read over on the Turbobuick forums is that the down pipe ones don't create enough vac... which is why they went the smog pump route.

I've been trolling pic-n-pull for a ls1 engine or anything with a smog pump but I haven't found anything yet.
----------------------------

The first thing I did as a temporary fix was run a 1/2" hearer hose line from my dipstick to a catch can... when my dipstick pops out it makes a huge mess, so now it makes a mess in a catch can (thanks Pepsi).
The second thing I will do is put a check valve in the line running from the manifold to the PCV, so that it only sees vac. I tried just removing that vac line and I got horrible pressure at idle, infact I blew out the O-ring on my oil filter at the autocross this weekend, I think partially because of that line being capped off... so back on it wen't and I will get a one way check valve and see how that works.

The final solution in additoin to the check valve from the intake, will be adding a extra 1/2" hose out of the stock PCV box, run it to a catch can that that into a pressure controlled vacuum pump back to the intake (the pump could be replaced with a exhaust vanturi line if I get favorable comments from your system).

Are you asking if we have catch can setups? Almost all of us that are running excess boost probably are, I am.

Are you asking if we have catch can setups? Almost all of us that are running excess boost probably are, I am.

No, he is asking if anyone is running a negative crankcase pressure system, basicly creating vacuum inside the engine block...this can be done using his way (can possibly create too much draw if not done right and you start sucking up oil) or electric or mechanical pump.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html

some setups create enough vac, that you can have a hole the size of golf ball in the side of your engine block and not leak any oil !!!

I just ran a hose straight off of the breather/separator box to a catch can, and another hose from the catch can to the intake tube in front of the turbo. Worked like a charm and even passed smog since it was a closed system still. No more oily mess in my turbo/intake manifold, and the dipstick didn't pop out anymore.

also i've read that inducting oil mist (through the turbo) can reduce the effective octane rating = ping. anyone know how much truth there is in that as i've no experience of it myself.

also i've read that inducting oil mist (through the turbo) can reduce the effective octane rating = ping. anyone know how much truth there is in that as i've no experience of it myself.

any car...turbo or not...oil mist bad thing in the induction...

Crankcase vapors add nothing positive to the intake charge.

They are mostly inert + oil that is said to reduce the octane of the fuel + this ick will collect on the inside of all the intake plumbing, on the throttle body, intake manifold and in the days of old.......... on the back of intake valves (where is that concerned chipmonk gif when I need it!).

I can just imagine what a smokeshow a venturi arrangement in the exhaust must make when it sucks oil into it.

I've been tempted to set up a couple sets of reed valves to make for a certain amount of vacuum in the crankcase but know that it will just pull air past the oil seals with any vacuum applied and don't really see the point for our engines that we are not winding up to a telephone number.

Howszat for a run-on sentence?

I am adding a catch can to my system and got to thinking... how necessary is the small vacuum line that T's off the breather hose (the one that goes to the intake)? Should it be left to create vacuum in the breather system or should it be removed? It seems to me that it will suck oil into the intake as well as create a bit of a vacuum leak.

Just running the catch can with some coarse steel wool in it made a huge difference in the amount of oil in my turbo/ic pipes. I ran it that way for around two years before I wrecked the car, well worth the $50 in my opinion.

Redblocks, at least most of them, have a pretty reasonable hole through which they can breathe oily air ... if you don't care about emissions (& your state authority either doesn't or they never check it) then it's not a big deal to put a filter on the end of the standard breather pipe & it works pretty well.

I know that YLD244 either drilled a new hole or used an existing hole, in order to evacuate ... from the head, I think it was, but don't quote me on that. He's been running over 25psi in the past, though.

are you talking about putting a filter right off the flame trap?

also, how important is that air intake temp sensor can i get rid of the tube that runs across the valve cover to the flame trap?

Back