• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bleeding brakes after cadillac caliper install

IMO. It took me a couple of hours bleeding the brakes trying figuring out the issue, so I replace all the old rubber brakes line replace it with SS ones that IPD sells and it helped 100%

All the rubber lines should be replaced any time calipers get changed/rebuilt as a rule. They are cheap, you are in there and it is safety. They swell and break down on the inside and make bleeding a nightmare, plus they are ready to die. Stainless not necessary, just good quality new rubber lines

still have a pedal that if I hold down on it sinks to the floor.

Here is your clue. That is classic symptoms of a master cylinder with bad seals. I have had one reman and one brand new one come with bad seals out of the box from rock auto recently. The new one had rust inside from sitting on the shelf.
Luckly both times they overnighted a replacement that worked, no hassles.

I can tell you I wa t through the same when I did mine. The rod that pushes the plunger on the master needs to be tweaked. Meaning it needs to be extended.

I can tell you I wa t through the same when I did mine. The rod that pushes the plunger on the master needs to be tweaked. Meaning it needs to be extended.
Careful here....
If there is a length mismatch, the point you get a firm pedal will either be to far or too little in the pedal travel. Be sure that there are no other problems before changing the rod length. If you adjust the length to overcome another problem, you could be limiting the master cylinder travel and/or causing it to go too far into the cylinder.A couple months down the road when you bleed the brakes again for whatever reason, and get that air out, then the brakes don't quite release fully anymore, you know why. The rod is too long and keeping static pressure on the master cylinder.

What should not happen is when you step on the pedal, it feels firm(even for a second) and then gets mushy.

If there is not air in the system, and none of the master cylinder seals are bypassing, and the hoses are good, the pedal should hit a firm spot, in the same spot every time, and you should be able to hold your foot on it for days without anything changing. If that spot is too close to the floor, lengthen the rod.

One time I had a car with firm pedal for a second or two, then it would bleed off a bit and then get firm and stay there. I read that brake hoses can internally swell and cause this. Basically there was air in one of the back calipers and due to a very restricted brake hose, it took a while for the fluid to make it through, to compress the air. It was also why that wheel was hard to bleed. Replaced the hose and bled and the pedal now behaved correctly.

The careful part is to make sure there are no other issues before lengthening rod, or when you fix those issues later, the rod may end up too long.

Back