• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Flat Towing a Volvo

humbo

I have a 1979 242 and a 1995 940. I'd like to turn one or the other into a tow car that I can pull behind my RV. Both Roadmaster and Blue Ox used to make base plates for these cars but they no longer show any in the computer. And you know how it goes--if it isn't on the computer it doesn't exist. And I'd need a drive shaft disconnect and got the same response there after talking to Remco and other manufacturers of drive shaft disconnects. Any help out there? I really want to stay away from FWD anything--:grrr:

Jim

You could get a dolly and put the rear wheels on the dolly. That way the car won't need a driveshaft disconnect and you could use either car. They probably never made a driveshaft disconnect for a Volvo. So you'd have to unbolt it at the rear diff.

I thought flat towing stick shifts was bad? I recall something about how the input shaft isn't turning and thus not lubricating the transmission when in neutral.
Some cars yes. Especially new cars.

The m47 m46 etc. Still splash around a little bit of fluid in the trans from the driveshaftside. The sweedes were goodand smart like that. It's never been an issue in these volvos.

The only drawback is the odometer keeps spinning, so you'll have to ferris bueller it if you want any resale value from your high mileage volvo.

I have an '81 auto and towed it a few times like between LA and Sacramento, CA without any problems afterward. I disconnect the drive shaft flange at the diff and tie the shaft up to the body. Rather than drill my bumper, I remove it and run pipes through the bumper shock openings in the frame and mount them with the bolt for the shocks. Then bolt the tow bar to the pipes. Caution, make sure there is enough space between the car and tow vehicle otherwise the corners of the body will make contact when turning and break the turn signal lenses.

Get a stick shift
Get a harbor freight tow bar and bolt to bumper
Then do this https://flic.kr/p/fS5xt4
https://flic.kr/p/i8CycZ

Pretty much what he said. I flat tow 240's all the time but use a seperate bumper set up with a steel plate behind the bumper since its alum and dont trust those rivet bolts from the factory. I also welded my bumper shocks.
Leave the steering wheel unlocked so it can follow along. Some people dont know this so just saying.

1l3ihmJ7ZIfdnWIY2oFf_-wq5ytNiXMrpU37sF-TneJbA_tXLzmOAfvC7bhMMoTFrqkpPsUB03UsYMnbrP2u63Xv8iVWwvYfCm_aO9c5TE_FqusNj3AXn47DGSMh1DRVHCv2fk1M5hG3ZXLhBNo4Hk6nvza2ndmgopegvxKm7tK8g6WxCoz90WOtZRI-xDbs6yTR5Yds2Mfodu8MB6ZNRlq1iaEnre0IYkF6bgFMhgQP3hEpZNES6bRkjGgvTrV61ZQWqeXnLxNiOhRsjGja4lQz53GaoPpVxSHc30iqH8917xB7tPZNEHX4KQ1mWsIlD9W2ANALJDHeghOKQKjZ1KQKbVAw6ivaCWzP_88vSjtB8W7gusFcCfeBNqtPeXt2nMkK-zeTe9m2gAKFKKfOCW8cmecAj5K8XyuKcU3E1mMk1dT0Obxd1qubAYs2nBAlXbiPxfG2yOJZ2-o9q3ijnd7lHPeDVk7aMRvsuQRBGTD9Xh9bp2jGCzws1mFmeQwNK0lWiedxKIYulJL_TISuwYthHzbdDKOfmZWcntn1Jd-SzKkq4hSRrQQR8And8ZkJHbzpYVxqp_rM_LnMCO0PIqHDRubLoH2OJ-qtdfDNehNR58GZqZ6k0svgilh4guFC1ThjZDPvjqoG2zdHRL4rF0SFrkjNAu4=w806-h604-no

B9hRxfwKAJaId3K6n-D2y9VnYUC3GKODV4ScaKB2tb4l3gvTqt6zfiJ_l6klcJHiRN-_ebgL7bEhWlKlOmDJV4GlQfIOJvlMz3m3UvXHZF_gxt7XIGBIqJjZ6VemfL4fscXjQZrwQdv_SQfBQfdMiRtME84WtpSS4dGHGYejq4fFK6tmN8kwVQI3xo3zGExUtDy8-zZOrCnRMccKcQg_05krUlcgPkGw4f0Rntg8KAeIkmC4DIkI4b9miIfhL_abRRRhnByQesUyXzje3ww8DHfd7BpqsONMnrB1AD7Ia_75BU6_meKbmvPA0Ixd1WxDBvKZsMLhdt82WPANx3pHgJnfmuHPLjIgfPXBlyc8ECALHMg4Tn4mQG3DqspuKuh7lKO7VrMqgUihElOSpecDmNgZ3a9TNPOO4feWSF5ap1D0Jih4mqXyADiDJsFahRikOzKWCIpbfKpjj_cAMVu5KQyFGMpizTS3MtXrf-UHiR2TMEfIXUM0iuElMpc0mXtCksfhmMmfjq7ppwZZY-SjDl2YzTCDV8DByoovQp5MoshuIdxQJxYiV3IM1Uelas7oXym7f96_BPza6gzoQfS3c4QIFWms4Kt9d-xECWP_ClS4TMTyVk2986TljQC27IcbZ_a0lE3WUkvAaDQLDtzIjRpYVYOVU0U=w806-h604-no

Last edited:
Back