• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Making a Volvo 4wd (Or... Building a jeep with a Volvo B230)

itlksez

Hi everybody.

I just completed an adapter that joins an M45 transmission to a Dana 300 transfer case. I thought I'd post it up here for reference. (In case you're wondering, I'm dropping a B230 - plus a turbo if I can get it to fit - into a '49 Willys CJ3A.)

The hard part of this swap is figuring out how to join the M45 output shaft to the 23-spline input of the D300. I picked up a core 46RE automatic transmission on CL for $20 that came from a 4wd Dakota. I knew this trans came bolted to an NP231, which has the same 23 spline connecting shaft as what I needed. My original plan was to take the risk of cutting the output shaft and making a "double-D" slot and welding the backside of the connection to the driveshaft yoke of the 240 that this trans came out of. I still did it, but now that will be a spare. (Yeah, that's a wood lathe. Don't judge.)

What I wasn't planning, was that the shaft that goes through the planetary gearset for the 46RE's overdrive was the same 23 spline shaft. I was able to take the gearset...

And cut/turn it down to a plate that accepts a section of that shaft. The shaft can float but can't move forward or back. I also turned a lip in the back so it locks into the M45 tail yoke...

And that slips into the D300 input.

Now it's just a matter of making plates for the trans and t-case, and connecting them. I took the rear housing from the M45...

And made a 1/4" plate that fits over it...

I then did the same thing with the Dana 300 transfer case.

With the plates on and the cases in place, I measured the distance between them and cut a section of 5" pipe. I centered that on the t-case plate and tacked it.

I cut out a section of the pipe to accept the shifter rod and also needed to cut out and cover a section on the bottom to allow for a gusset in the tail plate. I stood the M45 on-end and placed the adapter on the trans plate. I took the bull-gear assembly out of the D300 and used that to center the unit and tacked it in place.

Then I welded everything up!

A peek inside...

It worked great, but I still needed to figure out the shifter.

I cut the shifter rod (from an M46) down as short as possible and made a plate to bolt to the transfer case to mount the shifter assembly to. It took a bit of trial and error, but I got it.

And here it is, all finished!

Neat!

I saw a C303 bellhousing/trans/transfer case on eBay a while back and pondered for a minute or two what I could do with that. But that's a B30 bellhousing, not a B18/20/tilted OHC pattern.

Cool ! I've got a good B18 and a couple of M40s that I'd love to stick into a CJ2A. If they'd fit? Might be taller than the flat head IDK?
Too bad my dad sold that CJ2A ! It was a 46 or 47 beater with the original flat head. Really for the woods the flat head was plenty. But a little more would be fun just not to the point of having to redo the whole driveline.

Keep us posted !

Cool ! I've got a good B18 and a couple of M40s that I'd love to stick into a CJ2A. If they'd fit? Might be taller than the flat head IDK?
I've got a 230 sitting here from a 740GLE, and it's overall height is only about an inch or two taller than a flathead. It should fit perfectly. The turbo I grabbed from the local yard might be a squeeze, but it looks possible. Even the intercooler looks like it was made to fit!

The rest of the build is still in the frame-stage, so it might be a while until you get any updates. :)

Did the CJ3 have the hood sitting higher ? I'm thinking somewhere along the line they raised the hood for the F head engine. The wierd motor with one valve in the block and one in the head.

Man that does look like a fun project!

The CJ3A was similar to the 2A with the L-head (flat head), but had a different windshield frame and stronger rear axle.
The CJ3B had the F-head, and had a taller hood to accommodate it. The tub was the same, except for a 4 3/4" riser at the cowl and a taller firewall and dash.

That's some serious tech, have you posted it over on pirate4x4? I'm doing a similar project except I'm putting a 2.3L Ford into my '42 GPW and mating it to the jeep T-90. Are you planning to lengthen the wheelbase on the jeep or just use a really short driveshaft?

That's some serious tech, have you posted it over on pirate4x4? I'm doing a similar project except I'm putting a 2.3L Ford into my '42 GPW and mating it to the jeep T-90. Are you planning to lengthen the wheelbase on the jeep or just use a really short driveshaft?

Funny you should mention pirate! I just posted (what I have done so far on) the whole build over there today.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/#/forumsite/21027/topics/2202586?page=1

The rear will be stretched about 3", but more for stability than anything else. The driveshaft should be in the range of 17", which is just fine. I've had jeeps with half that.

Thanks for posting, and good luck with yours!

Nice work!

I'm curious as to why you stuck with the M45. At this point you've adapted a fairly weak transmission. Did you consider using a T5 out of an 80s CJ and a redblock to T5 adapter plate?

Nice work!

I'm curious as to why you stuck with the M45. At this point you've adapted a fairly weak transmission. Did you consider using a T5 out of an 80s CJ and a redblock to T5 adapter plate?

Thanks!

Valid question. I did seriously consider it, and even found a good deal on a jeep T5 just before I figured out how to make this work. I stuck with the M45 for several reasons.
1. They're in almost unlimited supply at the local yard for $65 a piece. A jeep t-5 is $300, if you can find one.
2. I don't plan on hammering on this jeep, so for what it's intended use is, it should be fine.
3. The jeep T-4 or T-5 is questionably stronger than the M-45. To do it right, I'd have to take the back half of the jeep T-5 and mix & match it with the world class t-5 to make the strength increase worth it. Then I'm way over budget, which is zero at this point.
4. I like a challenge, and I like to think no one has done this before. :)

Nice...since it is a 49, I hope you upgraded the Dana 41 to 44 from the post 50MY CJ3A out back!
I had a cj3a F head in my 42 GPW and it was pretty respectable with about 75hp out of the box for a 70 year old vehicle. I've since found a GPW engine L head that I've been rebuilding to replace the incorrect F head.
I presume the Cj3a still had the T90 the Dana 18 transfer case as stock? Good thing you went with the 300. I would have gone with an m47 though.
Cheers and good luck with a very neat project.

Patrick

Well done post

I want a B230F in my 1994 Wrangler YJ to replace the AMC 4 angry squirrels!

I envy the textbook purrty pipe flange welds but I found myself marveling at the easy flow of the project pictorial presentation. Made my visit to TB worthwhile today. I don't see much like this in maintenance and nonperformance.

Heresy!......don't tell the folks on G503.com that you are butchering a GPW......those old guys will hunt you down. Is your GPW a script? Mine is a mid May script.....T90 is a good trans and better than the T84 if you half - seriously take it off-road.
Patrick

Patrick

Neat and subscribed!
Makes me curious of your back ground as this is clearly not your first rodeo. This might be strange, but my favorite part is the chamfered holes. Nice attention to detail that only comes from experience and truly enjoying building.

Thanks guys! This is fun. I'd do this kind of stuff full time if I hit the lottery.

Nice...since it is a 49, I hope you upgraded the Dana 41 to 44... I would have gone with an m47 though.
The original drivetrain is long gone. I sold it all to help fund the project years ago.
The M47 was a thought, but like the T-5, they aren't as plentiful as the 45s (or 46s with a tailshaft swap), and length is at a premium in an 80" wheelbase rig. The extra 5"(?) just for overdrive didn't seem worth it. I can run 3.73s or even 4.10s and have a good highway rpms (on 33" tires, remember), and down the road get a 4:1 gearset for the D300 and have a 55:1 (or 61:1 with 4.10s) crawl ratio, which is plenty for the occasional weekend warrior.

...Makes me curious of your back ground as this is clearly not your first rodeo...
Who, me? I'm just a lowly old woodworker. :oogle:
I've built a few race and rock crawling jeeps in the past, but none for comfort and practicality. This is a different angle for me. I have been employed as a mechanic, fabricator, iron worker... It started to take a toll on my body, so I switched to my other hobby, wood, for an income.

Thanks for following this everyone! It might be a while until I get to any more progress. I'm out of allocated funds again. :-(

Back