• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

thinking of buying a 70 142

durk80

Hi all, I was thinking about buying a 142. I'm more familiar with 240s. Is there anything I should look for that might be a deal breaker? Thoughts and opinions are welcome as I don't really have any knowledge. The seller didn't say how it ran, or if it runs. That, and I need another Volvo like I need a hole in the head!

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I was thinking about buying a 142. I'm more familiar with 240s. Is there anything I should look for that might be a deal breaker? Thoughts and opinions are welcome as I don't really have any knowledge. The seller didn't say how it ran, or if it runs. That, and I need another Volvo like I need a hole in the head!

Thanks in advance!

> It will be slow when and if it runs.

> Parts will be hard to find or NLA and expensive when you do find them.

> The interior will probably be shot and the paint will probably be worn off and thin by now.

> They're antiques now and drive like one compared to modern cars.

> Modifying one is pretty much a fool's errand compared to the OHV cars that are easy to turbo.

> If you just want to cruise in a vintage ride they're somewhat 'modern' systems wise.

> It will be slow when and if it runs.

LOL! The seller said that I couldn't drive it home because it spits and sputters and that I would have to trailer it, which is something I don't have. He replaced plugs and wires and said it needed some timing and carb work (2 barrel Weber converted) maybe the availability of these parts are what is causing the car not to run correctly.

Had a '71 and '73 and loved them. That was nearly 50 years ago and things have changed. Unless you are thinking of lovingly restoring it get a Kia for transportation.

LOL! The seller said that I couldn't drive it home because it spits and sputters and that I would have to trailer it, which is something I don't have. He replaced plugs and wires and said it needed some timing and carb work (2 barrel Weber converted) maybe the availability of these parts are what is causing the car not to run correctly.

:doh:

The good ole B20 killah.

:run:

They are cool enough to loose a bit of common sense though...love they way they look. I came close to getting one before I saw the car I ended up buying.

Had a '71 and '73 and loved them. That was nearly 50 years ago and things have changed. Unless you are thinking of lovingly restoring it get a Kia for transportation.

:uh:

Restoring is kind of a strong word when applied to a 140 / 240 there's lots of stuff that simply isn't available new for them, renovate maybe but restore in the true sense of the word, no not really in any close to practical sense.

They are cool enough to loose a bit of common sense though...love they way they look. I came close to getting one before I saw the car I ended up buying.

They do have a plain Jane snub nose cuteness to them that's for sure.

:oogle:

Well maybe not the 74s with the almost a 240 commando thing going on.

:-P

So basically, fun to look at as a lawn sculpture.

What did you end up buying instead? I'm curious.

I bought a '79 242, it was the close year and same color of my first Volvo. I daily drove the original one for a couple years (21 years ago haha) and sold it to a fine looking lady who (21 years later) is my fiance haha. I had to get it, I love driving it (except for the 4 speed manual, needs another gear at 80 mph..), drive it all the time. The sentimental aspect helps also with all the boxes that keep showing up for my build lol.

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=345011

There is my project thread if you want to see the car.

I'm not saying lawn sculpture, just a challenge that may be worth the effort.

So basically, fun to look at as a lawn sculpture.

10 years ago you could still find a viable 140 for reasonable money, but the last 10 years have been REALLY hard on all the RWD Volvos, so any surviving garage queen / time capsules command real money.

Well at least car guy 'real money' compared to a rubbing the nickels together TB budget.

What did you end up buying instead? I'm curious.

His 79 242 I think.

I bought a '79 242, it was the close year and same color of my first Volvo. I daily drove the original one for a couple years (21 years ago haha) and sold it to a fine looking lady who (21 years later) is my fiance haha. I had to get it, I love driving it (except for the 4 speed manual, needs another gear at 80 mph..), drive it all the time. The sentimental aspect helps also with all the boxes that keep showing up for my build lol.

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=345011

There is my project thread if you want to see the car.

A truly beautiful work of art, and a synchronous story too!

:doh:

The good ole B20 killah.

:run:

I know absolutely nothing about this set up, but am considering taking out a loan to buy the car if it could be fixed. Does this mean that this carb setup is garbage? What should I have replaced upon buying presuming I don't run away after seeing it close up? I'd love to hear your thoughts as it sounds like you know a lot more about the idiosyncrasies than me. :cool:

I say go for it as 140s are fairly easy to work on if you are mechanically inclined and are the coolest Volvos ever made IMO. Look out for rust in the trunk spare tire wells, floors and around windows. Expect to rebuild the engine as worn cam lobes or timing gears are common. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have done a complete 140 restoration (1971 142 E). Just about all of the parts are available. Certainly the parts necessary to make it go. The 'problem' is that the less common parts are available only from the European based vendors, Scandcar, CVI, VP Auto, GCP and tend to be pricey because of shipping costs. Rockauto does sell a lot of engine and drivetrain parts at a very reasonable price.

Unless the car has lived in the desert it will have rust. The typical spots:
trunk spare tire wells
reinforcing plate for rear upper shock mounts
reinforcing plate for rear seat belt mounts
the lip around the rear wheel opening
seam between rocker and rear 1/4 panel on 142
floor pan(s)
front inner fender behind headlight
front bulkhead in front fender just in front of doors

If you are looking for a black hole for money and an end result that will grant you some exclusivity when you drive it, go for it. My other silly car is an NSX. There are three other NSXs in town. There are at least three other 1800s in town. There are no other 140s that are moving under their own power so I never have to worry about seeing myself come down the street!

If you are looking for reliable low cost regular transportation, buy a used Corolla, or Civic, or Hyundai, of ....

Hi Performance Automotive Service in Torrance, CA is also a great resource for parts, both new and used. I believe they are a distributor for VP Auto, which will save you a ton of money by not having to pay the shipping charges from Europe. They're also a great resource for knowledge and are extremely helpful in figuring out problems and getting advice. You can find them on here as username planetman. This gentlemen's name is Eric and he runs the shop with his brother Ian, who has a separate username on here.

You can find them on here as username planetman. This gentlemen's name is Eric and he runs the shop with his brother Ian, who has a separate username on here.

Ian's username is hiperfauto on here. I very much recommend working with them as well!

Memories of Volvo 100 series

I had a number of 100 series Volvo's as daily drivers when they were at least only a few years old but my favorite was a '71 164 restored, or at least freshened up a number of years later.

197120Volvo20164_2.jpg

That's my 17 year old son in the driver's seat. He is now 50. The 164 survived a rear end collision with a full sized Chevy pickup that was totaled. I straightened the bumper supports and replaced the taillight lens.

I had a number of 100 series Volvo's as daily drivers when they were at least only a few years old but my favorite was a '71 164 restored, or at least freshened up a number of years later.

197120Volvo20164_2.jpg

That's my 17 year old son in the driver's seat. He is now 50. The 164 survived a rear end collision with a full sized Chevy pickup that was totaled. I straightened the bumper supports and replaced the taillight lens.

Aha! Another oldster am I who owned these cars when they were only a couple of years old. Originally I was disappointed in them compared to the more sporty 544 and 122 models but as the years went by my feelings of nostalgia is greater for the 140 series. The early ones with the aluminum grilles are my favorites.

Fourteen years ago that feeling of nostalgia overwhelmed me and I bought a 144S. Really felt old at that point. Now I prefer the "refined" 240 series for my old car kick but I wouldn't rule out that another 140 will follow me home one day.

Back