• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear brakes - no fluid

4master

Replaced the front brakes, calipers, bearings, etc... did not touch the rears.

I have used my pressure bleeder and cannot get any fluid from the rear calipers (got just a bit but no flow).

The fronts seemed to bleed fine (through all three bleeder valves on each caliper).

I put the car in 1st gear (while on jackstands) and when free-wheeling or when revving up, application of the brakes does not work on the rears the wheel keeps spinning (pedal feels fine).

I only drove this car for about a month after purchase before starting some maintenance items and cannot say whether the rear brakes actually worked when I purchased the car because there was nothing for me to compare it to (my first 244).

What should I be looking for? Any common maladies?

Thanks in advance.

Clean the bleeder screws for the rear calipers.

A small drill bit in a pair of needle nose vise grips is my method of attack. And compressed air... but brake clean works pretty good too.

Sometimes enough debris collects behind the bleeder valve to block the passage. And sometimes the bleeder itself is blocked.

I start by pulling the bleeder screw out of the caliper. If the caliper doesn't start to leak immediately from the bleeder hole, then I take a clean piece of small stiff solid wire and try to clear the bleeder passage. If that doesn't work, then suspect a collapsed or plugged rear brake hoses.

If the caliper starts to leak immediately after bleeder screw removal, then the bleeder itself is plugged and needs to cleaned or replaced.

Thanks all.

I suspect there is blockage somewhere higher up since I don't get fluid from either rear caliper.

I did loosen both bleeders pretty significantly (enough that I would have thought if the bleeder valve was clogged, there would have been seepage out of where the valve screws into the caliper) but I did not remove the bleeder valves entirely. I will try that next just to to be sure and will also clean out where the valve screws into the caliper.

My next order of business will be to re-do the rear brakes (new calipers, discs, pads, lines, etc...). I should have done them when I did the front brakes but was spending time on the front half of the car.

Is the proportioning valve the "octopus" that I have read about? The idea of dealing with hard lines (brake pipes) again is not appealing. I had to cut off the drivers side brakes pipes when I started the front brakes because all the fittings were rounded. It took a month for new brake pipes to come in (they were all pre-bent though, so that was a plus).

BTW - I drove the car for about 15 miles yesterday and it drove fine and stopped well - although with properly working rear brakes, I'm sure it would stop even better!

s-l1600.jpg

Back