• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Turbo Station Wagon Capabilities

A

Anonymous

Mornin, I?m currently looking for my first car, and being raised with Volvo?s I have decided to go for the Volvo 740 GLE Turbo Station Wagon, curiously though, I?m not familiar with how to read a lot of the information available on the net so I thought I?d post here instead. I?m concerned with the 1991-92 model of the volvo, specifically I?m interested in what it?s KW ?stock? capability is, it?s weight and it?s performance 0-60kms and 0-100kms, also a comparison of what impact the turbo has on it?s capabilities interests me, that is to say, how the car would perform without the turbo. I know I?m asking a lot, and it must be bothersome to deal with people like me, but I?d really appreciate it if you could give me any help. Thanks.

[quote:33fbd0e5d4]I know I?m asking a lot, and it must be bothersome to deal with people like me[/quote:33fbd0e5d4]

lol, you've come to the right place... a board full of "people like you".

The short answer would be: w/o the turbo its a slug. With the turbo, you've got a great base to build a really really fun car. The 90+ 740 turbos are probably just shy of being the best RWD turbo setup Volvo has done. (940 turbos taking hte lead). Its a bit heavy, but the small Mitsubishi turbo puts the power down like a supercharger, the 2.3L motor gives it enough power to keep going.
Their are quite a few folks around here with 745turbos that are none to slow. Im sure there will be plenty of info for you.

-Dana

[quote:03e950c747]940 turbos taking hte lead)[/quote:03e950c747]
Try finding one in a stick. This is tha lame thing abou 900 series cars. The 740 turbo wagon after 90 is a 940 for all prectical purposes. Just has worse headlights, other then that it's teh same car. The turbo will get worse mileage then a non turbo. The automatic is to blame though for alot of it. IF you get a 91 or 92 (can'tt remember exactly) you will get the nicer 940 dash, and if you can find a 91 in a stick you have quite a car. The 740SE often got a slick bodykit, and sometimes got the 760 dashboard. I would look for a 91 5 speed car. If that isn't possible any car after 90 is a great place to start.

I'll go out on a limb and say that it is harder to go wrong with a Volvo than not...Don't get me wrong there are lemons out there but all-in-all Volvos are engineered for longevity...Average life spans in the teens outlast almost anything else. Not to mention that I was looking at some old Motor Trends at school....In the 90's the Volvo wagon had better performace numbers than probes and stuff...I'd say drive it and if if feels right buy-it, and most importatly ENJOY IT!!!

hi,
i'm driving around in a 740 turbo intercooler 1990 model. i've also driven a 740 without the turbo, which is kinda dull after u've tried the one with the turbo. i'm not 100% sure about of fast my car makes 0-100, but i'm guessing around 8-9 seconds. the turbo gives the car power enough for you to have fun every time you drive your car. i've had my car for 3 years now, still thinking its one of the coolest cars to drive.

you really should pick a car with the turbo. its great.

--lars :twisted:

I got my 740 turbo ('90 model) for my birthday in june (lucky me :lol: ) and so far I've had a hell of a time. Good gas mileage if I keep my foot off the gas and its got more than enough go-power when I need it. I'm thinking its time to start working on the performance aspect (lol, start, its halfway there) but the comfort and look of the car are killer. Only thing is those dam fenders and sideskirts. but nothing that a swap with a 960 can't handle

I got my 1986 Wagon in August after lusting after a 780 Bertone. I previously drove a 242GT, and was totally wowed with the performance of my new Turbo car. Although I loved and still love my GT, I have no complaints at all about my wagon. It was in great shape and was sold to me by the original owner w/ full service history. Although the 86 isn't the strongest my car has the Garrett turbo, M46(4sp w/OD), No Roof Rack, and is Red. I didn't think I'd ever find one like this so I jumped on it. Frankly, I like the 4 headlight setup, but I am really looking to get Euro lights in the next year. So far I have a 2.5" cat back exhaust, Ipd Sways, G-Valve set to 11 psi, and a modified air box w/ K&N. My car amazes me still even though I probably have a slower than average TurboBrick. Progressive Springs and Bilsteins are getting installed in the next 2 weeks, and wow this post is long. I just love my car and hope you find the right wagon for you.

Really I am just going to echo what all the others have said: Volvo turbo wagons rock.

I bought a wagon (1990 745 GL, non-turbo) back in February of 2002, and drove it for about 4 months or so in its non-turbo setup, and then in June did an engine and tranny swap on it to put in the turbo engine from the same model year ('90) and the turbo model tranny as well (AW71), so it made it real easy to compare the same exact car, just with the different engine and tranny.

Results: :twisted:

Yes, as a normally aspirated car it was like a lame three legged dog, barely able to get on the free-way on ramps and be at 70 MPH in time to merge... But with the turbo (turned up to 14 PSI and with a 4.1 rear end diff (the stock NA diff)), it is a wheel spinning monster! I mean seriously, I did pump several thousand dollars into the conversion, but as far as performance mods are concerned, just a K&N air filter, dawes device boost controller, and various guages.

Get the turbo, you won't regret it!!!

8)

Back