• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New project update

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm in working in my garage, I feel like I'm a Rembrandt, or Picasso, working in my element making beautiful things. Then I visit a Buchka thread and realize that I'm a retarded 4-year old attacking a piece of construction paper with finger paints.

you have a sickness

:rofl:

When I'm in working in my garage, I feel like I'm a Rembrandt, or Picasso, working in my element making beautiful things. Then I visit a Buchka thread and realize that I'm a retarded 4-year old attacking a piece of construction paper with finger paints.

Hah, thanks I guess. :-P You're doing pretty good dude, don't worry about it. Our garage at home is no better equipped than yours. We just lucked out here that the school lets us cut loose in their machine shop.

Are you going to have to remove that plate bridging the two halves whenever you change pads?

Yeah.

For the record:

towery: if the calipers dont explode on the first hard stop, I'll buy you a coke
buchka: i'm totally holding you to that

For the record:

towery: if the calipers dont explode on the first hard stop, I'll buy you a coke
buchka: i'm totally holding you to that

lol, i think its awsome that your going to build your own caliper and mad props too, But wouldent it be safer to buy a proper cailper?

brembo's are semi cheap(2d hand) and you can find nice wilwoods used for cheap, i saw 6 piston wilwoods at the swap meet with finn for cheap.
look at the left top of the vid. full speed crash due to unusual brake pad wear.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sx-zmGm3Kj4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sx-zmGm3Kj4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IMHO i would never cheap out on brakes-

image.php
-on

Last edited:
Alright I'm sending you some cad files. Along with carbon, but those two aren't related. I expect said parts to be back by Christmas.

wow what the hell dude.
I knew you're really into fabricating your own stuff, but that's ****ing nuts dude.

I'll take that as a compliment.

are those going on your pinewood derby 240?

Damn ****ing right they are.

lol, i think its awsome that your going to build your own caliper and mad props too, But wouldent it be safer to buy a proper cailper?

brembo's are semi cheap(2d hand) and you can find nice wilwoods used for cheap, i saw 6 piston wilwoods at the swap meet with finn for cheap.
look at the left top of the vid. full speed crash due to unusual brake pad wear.

IMHO i would never cheap out on brakes-

-on

I appreciate the concern. I'm not doing this because it's cheaper (it's not). Hell, I already own a set of R-calipers and adapters. This is a learning experience for me. If the calipers don't work, I'll happily use a commercial solution while I figure out why.

Btw, the guy in the you posted crashed because he couldn't be bothered to change his brake pads. And he was using commercial (stock) calipers.

Alright I'm sending you some cad files. Along with carbon, but those two aren't related. I expect said parts to be back by Christmas.

If I deem the parts cool enough I'll make them. And I need to figure out who has a freezer big enough to hold a couple of rolls of pre-preg...

I can't wait for the Karl posts in other threads calling people noobs or posers for not machining their own calipers :lol:

Btw, the guy in the you posted crashed because he couldn't be bothered to change his brake pads. And he was using commercial (stock) calipers.
QUOTE]

true but the stock cailpers had a unusal pad wear problem.

and i was thinking aboot the cost problem. personaly i like to think my time is worth 65 a hour, so if it took longer then 3 hours to build the cailper it would of been cheaper to get the wilwoods i saw this weekend;)

all IMHO

Yeah, but then what would you have learned? You might be 3 hours richer but you'd be no smarter than you were yesterday.

Believe it or not (and I don't expect you to understand this), but some people actually enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

Yeah, but then what would you have learned? You might be 3 hours richer but you'd be no smarter than you were yesterday.

Believe it or not (and I don't expect you to understand this), but some people actually enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

+1x2. fun+learning. man i sound like an old fart now.

nice stuff btw :)

My dad can never understand why someone would pay someone to do something, when he can do it himself for free and learn something. You're robbing yourself of an experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back