• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A/B cam HP increase - bone stone B230F ?

As has been stated, the stock cams are just that: stock, OE, emissions testing sensitive camshafts.

That said, the skinny cam family....T, A, V.....offer more bottom end than do the fat cam family cams.....B, D, K.

The M is of the dual pattern cam family.....M, VX, H. With the M being really emissions sensitive oriented, resulting in poor performance. M's go in the scrap bin at my place. I've done back-to-backs M-to-T: a definite difference with the T. stonger bottom end torque, better around town driveability. And that has been on some cars with stock OE sized exhaust.

A lot of the improvement that you 'can' get by going to a 'bigger' cam than the M is going to be dependent more on what size exhaust you run. If staying with the stock ~2in OE NA exhaust, yeah, you'll see some improvement going from the M to the B.

But, if you really want to see some improvement, go 2.5in from the twin pipe merge [of the front pipe] on back. With a setup like that, even a T performs impressively up to 4500+. BTDT. And talk about stump pullin' bottom end like that....

If you want to do the job right, you will check and adjust the valve lash clearances. And do that without the 'silencers' [or 'hushers', or 'absorbers'] in place. Then, after the clearances are right, remove the cam and install new hushers. I have yet to do a cam swap and NOT have to adjust at least 4 of the 8 clearances.

good luck

TF

That's exactly what I needed to know..I *do* plan on throwing a larger exhaust in it, but since it's going to be a DD, mileage and tractability are more important to me, all things considered..appreciate the info! This forum ROCKS! :x:

I was wondering if the fact that I have a manual transmission would make one cam better for my setup than the other. This car is my DD, which includes a lot of highway driving. I would describe my driving style as "spirited." My friends call it "slow down you crazy bastard!" I'm looking to feed the need without major work.

Any other recommended cams for this application?
The A cam will provide the best fuel economy and torque below 2000rpm. The B cam and other, larger cams(K, V, VX, ENEM V15NA) can do you better if you like to keep the rpms higher and don't mind a little less gas mileage.

My car is my DD as well and I've been driving it around for 5 or so months with a very large camshaft in it that makes it feel like a honda below 3000rpm. If you don't mind shifting, go for a larger camshaft. Stock gearing won't be your friend at that point either, and I always liked how my redblock didn't feel like a honda down low, so something less aggressive will be going in at somepoint.

Run whatever, if you don't like it or want more, change it. I've run the M, A, B, D, H, IPD Turbo, ENEM V15NA, and currently the ENEM K13 in my car. K goes in next.

The A cam will provide the best fuel economy and torque below 2000rpm. The B cam and other, larger cams(K, V, VX, ENEM V15NA) can do you better if you like to keep the rpms higher and don't mind a little less gas mileage.

My car is my DD as well and I've been driving it around for 5 or so months with a very large camshaft in it that makes it feel like a honda below 3000rpm. If you don't mind shifting, go for a larger camshaft. Stock gearing won't be your friend at that point either, and I always liked how my redblock didn't feel like a honda down low, so something less aggressive will be going in at somepoint.

Run whatever, if you don't like it or want more, change it. I've run the M, A, B, D, H, IPD Turbo, ENEM V15NA, and currently the ENEM K13 in my car. K goes in next.
LOL, wow..so many cams...I still like the idea of the T, but the VX or the K also sound intriguing..btw, where the hell can you get these stateside..oh yeah and the major reason I'm looking at factory cams is cos I'm poor lol..so no enems or anything :D

Hi

in the NA section the best choice from volvo is the H-cam, but hard to come by. Next is the K-cam often unslotted. then comes the V-cam, which is the best of the more common ones.
Vx and VX3 are too restricted on the exhaust side but not a bad cams. A-cam falls back a good bit and then the other Ones --.

When using the V or VX, VX3 cam in the B230f it is advisable to use the ECU and the ignition module from the B230FB or FG. They offer a bit more petrol in the higher refs.

Hi

in the NA section the best choice from volvo is the H-cam, but hard to come by. Next is the K-cam often unslotted. then comes the V-cam, which is the best of the more common ones.
Vx and VX3 are too restricted on the exhaust side but not a bad cams. A-cam falls back a good bit and then the other Ones --.

When using the V or VX, VX3 cam in the B230f it is advisable to use the ECU and the ignition module from the B230FB or FG. They offer a bit more petrol in the higher refs.

hrmm..if that's true, then it looks like a T, A, B or a K (not holding my breath for an H) would be a better fit for my goals cos I have no clue where I could find those modules (the 230FB or FG ones) here in the US, :(

There's no need for a different computer, all the computers and chipped computers I've run give TOO much fuel at high rpm. That goes for ALL the camshafts I've run, even. Don't worry about the computers.

There's no need for a different computer, all the computers and chipped computers I've run give TOO much fuel at high rpm. That goes for ALL the camshafts I've run, even. Don't worry about the computers.

I kinda thought as much, but Unfamiliarity rears it's ugly head..:D Learning more and more every day though, been DRILLING this forum..so much info!!

I have an extra V cam. Plan on installing RSI stg 1 or 2 soon. V cams are pretty cool. Not too far from KG2T.

I thought about the V series..but aren't they more for higher RPM use? I'm looking more at tractability at lower RPM's like 2k-5k..the car hates revving to 4 as it is, but the rear end is short and the motor just seems to like to lug VS. revving an I kinda like it like that, just want to make it a little more rev happy w/o getting crazy :D

The V is just above the A/B cams. It'll be fine at lower rpm, better than the K cam.

I thought about the V series..but aren't they more for higher RPM use? I'm looking more at tractability at lower RPM's like 2k-5k..the car hates revving to 4 as it is, but the rear end is short and the motor just seems to like to lug VS. revving an I kinda like it like that, just want to make it a little more rev happy w/o getting crazy :D

Then don't be stupid and overcam your motor.

You say you're poor, and are on a budget. Fine. We ALL have budgets that limit the outlays.

So.....you have two things that you need to correct in order to improve the performance: get rid of the M cam; and reduce the exhaust restriction.

The logical first step is to reduce the exhaust restriction. Get the exhaust up to 2.5in from the front pipe on back. THEN, worry about replacing that M cam.

From mild to wild [and 'wild' in this context is merely meant to refer to the most that is available in a stock OE camshaft; it does NOT infer true WILDNESS, or 'radical-ness']:

....[M being scrap material], T, A, B, D, VX (VX3), V, K, H.

Readily available*...as in what came to the USofA: M, T, B. VX available aftermarket. The A's and K's mostly come from friends north of the 44th parallel. D's can come from Oz (mostly). V's mostly from Europe (or Oz); but are available in Pentas here. H's.....good luck....Canada or Europe.

If your desire is really to maintain the torque below ~2800, then start out with a T or an A. A B cam would also be a reasonable choice.

TF

*check the classifieds.....you never know who has what available. You might be pleasantly surprised.

aha! I had thought the V series was on the other side of the K w/ the H being the most "radical"..ok, I got enough info now :D I *really* appreciate all the responses ppl! Many Thanks :D

I have the "A" cam, my motor is torquefull from 2600/2800 rpm...and powerfull up to 6000 rpm! It's just +2 deg with a Dale's gear. I'm very happy with it! My car is my DD and it's really nice to drive it every day. I think the "A" cam is good, cheap and efficient...like you search!

I have the "A" cam, my motor is torquefull from 2600/2800 rpm...and powerfull up to 6000 rpm! It's just +2 deg with a Dale's gear. I'm very happy with it! My car is my DD and it's really nice to drive it every day. I think the "A" cam is good, cheap and efficient...like you search!

yeah, I do like the sounds of the A or the B, but w/ Dale's gear, i could run any factory cam and still retain bottom end (I think :D) so that settles it then..an A, B or a V is what I shall look for when I get funds...hopefully soon! :cool:

Yea, V isn't really wild at all, or really high revving. I sold my KG2T and replaced with V cam and it was similiar, but the kg2t wasn't really wild in my setup either. It liked to really rev, but was fine at low revs too. In my opinion the V is the nicest stock cam that is easily available, I've sold them for $150 in the past. Haven't seen what they going for recently. RSI cams are a good deal I think, $220+shipping I think. if they have them in stock. I have one of each of those...one a KG2T copy...and another more radical...haven't been able to try either yet.

I will say, if you are going to swap cams, and do the shims, spending $150 instead of $50 sorta makes sense, it takes some time to put the cam in there, check the lash, adjust, check again, remove, put in silencers, etc.

yeah, I'd never put in a cam w/o checking the clearances, i think it's a dumb thing to NOT do..and your point about the $150 is right on too..I'd gladly save the extra $100 now for a quality, long lasting piece rather than spend $50 now + another $150 or so later on down the road, but as Stealthfi alluded..exhaust is coming 1st plus some other cheap/free/easy mods (efan etc etc)

A factory cam will last a long long time. The lifespans of aftermarket cams are sometimes questionable... For what it's worth.

A lot of us do it. :) I think you'd be quite happy with the T cam(free) and exhaust upgrade. Good power to 4500-5000rpm, with loads down low. Best solution for efficiency and low end power in a stock compression/fuel injection setup.

Back