• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

welding tips 16v

hey guys I am finally getting ready to put my 16v engine in my 240 wagon. I want to shorten the runners on the 16v intake (so it fits in the engine bay), however I have never welded cast aluminum before. Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated.
thanks

Cut about 2in/50mm out of the runners. I mark them with tape and use a bandsaw. Then take the sections you cut out, and cut those in half. Now you have 7 full runner welds to practice with before you do the real thing.
Also, sand and clean the inside and outside of the weld area before starting.

Thanks guys this is helpful, I am curious if the intake alloys are going to change things, if anyone has info on that would help also thanks.

clean it up really well, it's still going to be a bit difficult because there's generally a lot of trash in the aluminum. Other than that, I just set my tig on a/c and around 130 amps or so.

in order to get it to fit, I ended up having to put the rail basically along the top of the plenum.

163348249.jpg

163348252.jpg

(I don't recall why the rail had tabs on it, the distance may have changed or something)

I would recommend in hindsight that you space it up off the injector cups a little
163348248.jpg

you can check the whole process here, it really ended up being a fairly tedious process.

Back