• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aw71L missing lockup

marx3

Got a 97 945 recently.
B230FK and a AW71L
On the first run I know it hit lockup... ( around 45-50 in OD, rpm would stay steady if I let off the accelerator)

The next day it won?t lock up.
The only thing I did to the car in meantime, was check transmission fluid and add a half a quart.

It?s been nearly 10 years since I had an automatic 940, so I forgot what to look for with this problem...?
Even if I hit 60-65 and stay at the speed, it won?t engage lockup.
What could be the issue here?

The kick down cable may be out of adjustment. Try loosening the cable and see if you get the lock up function back. It is all mechanical on the AW-71L.

Hmm turns out I DO have lockup... its just that the car has to hit 60 before it engages.
Tried going a bit back and forth with the adjustment of the kickdown cable. Didn?t change anything.

Btw what?s the correct adjustment ?
As I loosened up the cable, I felt the pedal moving farther towards the floor, before kickdown happened.
Do I just set it where I like it best? ( like with the old th350 )

Is there any way possible, that I can make lockup happen sooner?
I?d have to be speeding most of the time to enjoy lockup at 60 :-)

A shorter Axle ratio or tyres with smaller diameter is all I know.
The OD is engaged by hydrauic pressure, given by the "speed" of the output flange.

It sucks in Germany too,the lockup speed is faster than driving while towing a trailer is permitted.

good luck, stay safe, Kay

I thought so...
I?ll just live with having to speed then :-)
Is your highway limit 80 km/h like in Denmark?
Freeway is 130 or 110 some places.

Hmm turns out I DO have lockup... its just that the car has to hit 60 before it engages.

Assuming it's the same as an AW70L, here's my usual response...

kickdown-adjust.jpg

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/16cIvMJv3iSIW4sI00G4xqJ7Obl1810dt/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Thanks. I found something similar and went with that...
It also called for 2? at full pull.
Weird thing is, when I adjusted the cable to go to 51 mm at full wot, I would not have any play at all in idle position... the ferrule would be hitting the bracket.

Went back and forth a little. Didn?t see any noticeable difference on the way the transmission felt.
The looser the cable, the farther down I had to press the accelerator, to make it kickdown.
Just like a th350

Tried going a bit back and forth with the adjustment of the kickdown cable. Didn?t change anything.

As I loosened up the cable, I felt the pedal moving farther towards the floor, before kickdown happened.
Do I just set it where I like it best? ( like with the old th350 )

Is there any way possible, that I can make lockup happen sooner?
I?d have to be speeding most of the time to enjoy lockup at 60 :-)

That's about where all the AW-71L transmissions go into lock up mode. It is actually annoying. That is the typical average speed on most highways and the trans is constantly shifting in and out of lock up.

That's about where all the AW-71L transmissions go into lock up mode. It is actually annoying. That is the typical average speed on most highways and the trans is constantly shifting in and out of lock up.

Ours goes in at 50. Terrible transmission. I hope it breaks so I can put in a non-locker.

I wish mine locked up at 50 :-)
Have another aw71L lying around, that I had in my other 945 years ago.
Acc modded and everything. Don?t remember when it locked though.

Back