• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering U-joint Removal

volvowagoon

Hello all,

I am trying to remove the upper steering u-joint from my car. It needs to be replaced and I need to remove the column anyway. I have the column completely detached except for the joint, I have the bolts out of the joint and I would think that it's supposed to slide right off in theory. My guess is that it's rusted in and needs some force, so I have it soaking in pb blaster right now. Any hints on how to get it off? I've tried prying against it, but don't really have room to beat it. Thanks.

-Jon

Screwdriver blade, small chisel, kitchen knife, or something of similar shape tapped into the slot the bolts used to clamp shut to gently spread the slot and help release its grip. That bit of flexing should let the PB get farther down into the splines, too.

...broke my screwdriver attempting the above. I'm thinking torching it is the next step. If that doesn't work I'll just cut in the middle so that I can hold the whole fricken column in a vise and have my way with it.

wait. Poor choice of words.

...broke my screwdriver attempting the above.
:omg:
Ummm... you did see the word "gently" above, didn't you? As in little taps to gently wedge it apart, not running at it from across the shop and trying to smite it with something larger, like....
2wd0nte.jpg

I remember letting a screwdriver sit wedged in there with some pb blaster, then using a crowbar and hammer to tap it off. This was on the lower u joint tho.

FWIW you should make alignment marks on steering shaft at rack end where it slides on shaft *with the wheels set dead straight* before removing anything as it makes reassembly much faster/easier and keep steering set as it left Volvo (lock to lock setting)

DO NOT use a torch to heat it. there is rubber inside the "swelled" area of the steering shaft. And you'll coke the grease in the u joint

Use a appropriately sized with the needed shaped wedge on the chisel that fits the slot but does not come into contact with the pinch bolt or it's threads.

Gently tap it into the slot to open up the slot enough to allow it to come off...watching closely to not hit the bolt.

Then use a small ball peen hammer to *gently* tap the u joint off the shaft.....preferably using a piece of brass stock to "cushion" the hammer blows on the aluminum splined u joint "mount"

mtd240- perfect. I will get to this next week when I have my angle grinder back.

Aslo, thank you smokey for the marking idea. I wouldn't have remembered to do that either. I'm starting to feel very noobish, but this is my first big project.

Back