• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Broken Exhaust Stud in 1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

tworedvolvos

Bought it for $1000, no wonder.

They were dishonest.

Hoping someone can either help with the job or make some recommendations.

This car is my ticket out west to build my first company.

Really could use some tips on how to approach this.

Any estimates on what a shop might charge for this?

Sweating all this at this point...

Is the exhaust leaking? If not I wouldn't sweat it too much at this point.

Did it break off into the threaded hole or will there be something to get hold of if you were to remove the exhaust manifold? If so start soaking those bolts in PB Blaster or some such and remove the exhaust manifold to get the broken one out and replace it.

It's a big job at a shop and a big diy job if you are going to be a diy. That being said you can usually get the stud out if it's above the head. But it can require welding to the stud and if it isn't able to be removed at worst. Then the head may need to be fixed at a fabrication shop. The work requires removal of the turbo and exhaust manifold to access the broken parts.

Be glad it's a Volvo. If this was on another turbo car it would most likely be even harder and more expensive to fix properly.

Last edited:
If it's broken in the head it's a PITA to get out. I just had the same problem, took the head off and had a shop remove and replace the bolt. That costed just under 200€, but included some other work (cleaning, measuring and milling the surfaces straight). With new gaskets, headbolts, timing belt, coolant, filters and oil the total cost was something like 360€ plus some DIY hours.

Are the rest of the studs there, is the manifold on? If so and you just need to travel, you’re probably okay. Your gas mileage will likely suck if it’s leaking but a small exhaust leak usually isn’t gonna kill the engine. In anycase there’s always greyhound.

My friend and I fixed a broken stud today by drilling out most of the broken stud, then use a drill press and a 21/64 drill bit to drill for a 8mm heli coil tap, then we tapped the head, insert the heli coil and we were good to go.

We had the cylinder head out already so the entire task was relative quick and easy.

The holes in the exhaust manifold for bolting it to the head are large enough that you can drill out and tap the next oversize. I've got an M10 stud at the front of my manifold

Back