• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

smoothys 242 Turbo Build

Congratulations! That'll make a fine summer DD in Ontario and will surely turn heads.

Where did you get the replacement floor pans by the way? I will be needing some of those!

Congratulations! That'll make a fine summer DD in Ontario and will surely turn heads.

Where did you get the replacement floor pans by the way? I will be needing some of those!

fixmyrust.com has the rust repair panels you need.

Summer DD with working AC I might add ;)

Now come finish my car. Please.

hehe I wish I could but after this last build I don't think my wife will approve.

5000 km Update!

Just as an update

I have just driven over 5,000 km (3,000 miles) since putting this car back on the road and as expected I have had a couple of hiccups as well as some upgrades.

Voltage Regulator
My rebuilt alternator had the voltage regulator came loose causing me to lose electrical charging. I guess the guy who rebuilt my alternator didn't tighten the two screws that hold the regulator to the alternator and as one of them completed backed out. Fortunately the car has a voltage gauge and I was able to notice the problem before my battery was completely drained.

Universal Joints
I replaced all three U joints on the drive shaft as well as ensured the shaft was installed in the correct balanced and phased positon. The car drives smooth with no vibration at highway speeds.

Alternator Pulley
I noticed my voltage dropping again followed by a ridiculous metal on metal sound coming from the engine. It turns out my trusty alternator rebuilder did not install the woodroff key so the pulley spun loose on the shaft. I was able to install a key and I have not had any problems since.

Gas Tank
I replaced the original, internally rusted gas tank with a good used one and after a few hundred miles it began to leak :(. Needless to say I had to replace the tank with a new one I got from Cross Canada for about $200. Fortunately all of the clamps and hose were new so this didn't take a long time.

Engine Mounts
After a few weeks of use I notice the cheapo engine mounts I had just wouldn't cut it and I needed to replace my engine mounts with something a little more robust. I ended up going with the 240 volvo OEM diesel mounts for $50 from Tasca.

Muffler & Tail Pipe
The baffling inside my muffler had come loose and created an annoying ratting sound (Kind of like a vibrating heat shield). The tailpipe was fine but for $20 I wasn't going to try to wrestle it loose from the old rusted muffler so I bought a new one. I was able to get a muffler and Tailpipe from FCP for around $50!

Suspension Bushings
I replaced all the suspension bushings with polyurethane bushings from IPD. The original bushing were still in driveable condition but I figured after 30+ years it might be a good idea to replace them. This was a major PITA as some of the bolts were seized to the inner part of the bushing which resulted in me needing to burn out the old rubber and cut out the bolt. Has anyone noticed that if you buy the bushings individually from IPD they are cheaper then the whole kit?

Radiator
The day I was working on the bushings I noticed a little coolant on the splash guard so I traced where it could be coming from at sure enough it was leaking from the upper radiator port. I thought perhaps I didn't tighten the clamp so I tried to tighten it a little more and sure enough the plastic port broke. Fortunately I had a spare 2 core sitting around to keep me running while I keep my eyes open for an all metal 3 core.

Grille
Some one stole the grille off my 240 but I was able to get a replacement off of the form for under $50!

Wiper Motor
The wiper motor would at times, not shut off or return to proper home position. I had a good used one and since then have not had a problem.

Upgraded Lighting
I upgraded the lighting system to use the H4 type light bulbs for low beam lights. I also got some white H4 bulbs that really make early morning driving a little more visible. A huge improvement over the old style sealed beam lights.

LED Dash Lights
I changed the instrument panel and dash lights to LED lights and they have really brightened up some rather dull gauges.

Things I am thinking of doing. . . . . . .

B21FT Cold Air Intake
I have been thinking of performing this upgrade but I can't seem to find 2.75" ID PVC piping anywhere. I have looked at possibly using silicone piping to do this but it comes out to around $30.

Wheel Spacers
I have noticed that the rear wheels sit a little to far in the to the well (for my liking) and I was thinking of getting some 1" spacers to push them out a bit. I am curious how this would look or if it would be at all doable without rolling the fenders. Any input would be appriciated.

The above list of repair items should be an eye opener to anyone that wants to take a 30+ year old car and use it as a DD. I was prepared for additional repairs but I think a lot of people buy $1000 Brick and expect it to run forever without sinking a buck into it. These cars will run for a long time but the need to be maintained.

Below is a current photo of the car

Great point about proper maintenance!

I picked up my 245 for a G, and I expected to invest a total of around 3k to get it to the point where I can just drive it and not want/need to upgrade/repair it constantly. I'm 2/3 the way there without even touching suspension (although that does include a set of wheels/tires......but sadly not adapters)

Great point about proper maintenance!

I picked up my 245 for a G, and I expected to invest a total of around 3k to get it to the point where I can just drive it and not want/need to upgrade/repair it constantly. I'm 2/3 the way there without even touching suspension (although that does include a set of wheels/tires......but sadly not adapters)

Thanks. I currently have just over $5k including the purchase price in mine but lets not forget with the exception of the paint I did all of my own work.

However it seems something always pops up. I replaced the original saginaw power steering pump with a reman one only to have it leak out of the box! Fortunately there was a warranty so I had it replaced a couple of months ago only to have it kick out on me again last night :-(
Hopefully the third time is a charm :)

B21FT Modified Air Intake

So I finally decided to go forward and modify my intake as per described in this forum. After reading the instructions the modification seemed easy and rather cheap.

I dunno if anyone has actually tried to do this modification but I could not for the life of me find any 2.75" PVC piping.

So I actually ended up getting a flexible silicone 90 and a 2.75" IC pipe for $30. I had to do some trimming but I was able to get these two components to fit.

Here's a photo of basically what I had to remove to get to the bottom of the airbox

A couple of shots of the elbow and the pipe assembled

And the airbox installed

This is the view of the pipe to the airbox behind the headlight.

Up next Aluminum Intercooler.

Last edited:
Do88 Intercooler

Very nice and clean. I need to do this to mine.

Thanks I haven't noticed any difference in sound between the original piping and the modified one. But at least I no longer have to worry about pulling in preheated air into my intake when the airbox thermostat fails.

The other day I decided to buy an intercooler from Do88. Working with Frederik at do88 was a pleasure as usual. I ordered the intercooler on a Thursday and received it on a Monday, so I was pretty please how quickly I got the item.

After opening the perfectly packaged box I was impressed with the quality finish and look of this intercooler.

The intercooler was a little larger then the stock one so I had to modify the rubber brackets to hold it in place. After about 10 minutes I had it installed.

It looks great, but I haven't had the chance to notice any changes in performance. I did have to adjust my CO but I found a fuel leak which may have caused this.

In the future I may opt to replace my 2 core rad with one of their aluminium ones.

Here a photo of it installed

You can really see much but it was instantly noticeable to my wife followed by the question of, "how much did it cost?" ;-)

This has turned out great. Perfect motivation to finish my 245T when I get back home in a week.

I noticed you ordered the do88 turbo hose set. I assume you like it or you wouldn't have ordered the intercooler later on. I'm glad to see someone using the set as I have a set in black waiting for me in the garage.

I am glad I could motivate. I wish I ordered the black ones :-( the blue ones require some attention to keep them looking clean. The IC was an impulse buy but its a quality piece no doubt. I may grab there 3 core rad and call it a day but for now I think I will just enjoy the car.

Good luck with your build and I am looking forward to seeing it completed!

The car looks great man!

While some might have parted it out because of a little rust... thanks for saving this one.

This build is especially motivating to me because I just got an 83 244 ti that seriously needed some love.

Just finished an interior swap and re sealing the motor and new clutch. And now Im onto the rust and paint. Keep it up!

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/noah240t/slideshow/Volvo 244 TURBO

Your progress looks great as well!

I was thinking of going with the updated intake manifold but I decided to keep it stock. But a lack of availability for B21FT throttle cables may force me to go that route soon.

Love the work you did with the wheels. It looks like you got new lugs nuts for them. May I ask where you go them?

My car is still a work in process.

I am looking to perform the following;
  • Terminal 11 trick
  • new fuel pump and accumulator
  • repair the cruise control

Something always comes up;-)

Back