• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lower chassis brace bolts backing out

740TurboPerformance

Got a simple problem and question..........

I have a lower Cherry Turbos Chassis Brace (no upper brace) and have been driving hard (hard turns, nothing extreme) and noticed that both bolts on the driver side were backing out and were loose. I can tighten them in with my fingers. Problem is the tire shop that did this for me used some allen bolts that you need a really large allen wrench for so I can't just torque them back up.

I would like to replace all the bolts with standard bolts, first what size are the bolts? Secondly, could it hurt anything by getting bolts that are a slightly longer thread and securing them with a nut on top so there is less chance of them backing out again.............?

Thanks in advance..............

Go buy an allen-socket for your regular rachet handle, cost about as much as new bolts? (Sears, Autozone, where-ever) :e-shrug:

That, and red locktite... (and brake cleaner, if it's such an oily mess that the threads are not dry....) and you should be good to go...

Yeah I didn't do them cause I didn't have a jack or place to do it at the time, I had a tire shop do it. Seems like they used some thread locker, they turn real slow and feel like there is some kind of compound between the threads, I will be buying new bolts, cleaning the threads, applying thread locker and probably using nuts at the top to fully secure the bolts (I don't want to have to worry about it again)

Should I be using washers on the bottom of the brace................? :e-shrug: It would be nice if I actually got some mounting hardware with the brace, but I didn't.

Thanks for all the input guys................

740TurboPerformance said:
Yeah I didn't do them cause I didn't have a jack or place to do it at the time, I had a tire shop do it. Seems like they used some thread locker, they turn real slow and feel like there is some kind of compound between the threads, I will be buying new bolts, cleaning the threads, applying thread locker and probably using nuts at the top to fully secure the bolts (I don't want to have to worry about it again)

Should I be using washers on the bottom of the brace................? :e-shrug: It would be nice if I actually got some mounting hardware with the brace, but I didn't.

Thanks for all the input guys................

Undercoating usually clogs up the threads for the lower chassis brace and makes the bolts go in just as you described. I run a 10mmx1.5mm tap through the threads prior to installing the bolts. I use flat washers, and have had no trouble with any hardware coming loose.

Yes, Evan (or me, if I ship them) supplies the hardware with lower chassis braces.

US models got all the luxury of a high class volvo. They wanted the car to flop around more so it had a better ride. :lol:

Another hardware approach is the used the flanged locking nuts of the type used with the turbo hardware on the motor. That is the type that came with my lower braces. You can get this kind of hardware from
Maryland metric and Electrofast.

http://www.marylandmetric.com

http://www.electrofast.com

I've used these two places with good sucess.

Back