• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Fuel pressure regulator

OttoB

945 '95 B230 FK had issues with starting, it needed about 15 sec cranking before it started. Huge black smoke cloud was detected. After start it was ok.
Tried typical tricks and changed both CTS and CPS. No changes at all. Checked fuel pressure and changed fuel filter. Nothing

Few moments with Pico scope and all signals were at ok level.

Problem was leaking fuel pressure regulator. It leaked raw gasoline through vacuum hose into the intake manifold. Had used one laying and that seemed to fix the problem. That is third time I have issue with the regulators. First regulator gave5 bar, second 2 bar and now a leak. This fourth one seems to ok. Will not trust this new/used regulator will be around for a long time.

Any ideas what brand to get as a new replacement? Bosch seems to be NLA, so is aftermarket any good or should I opt for AEN or similar tuning stuff

Last edited:
Bosch fuel pressure regulators are available new. As mentioned above you need a three bar. Usually Beck/Arnley is reboxed bosch. Standard auto parts brand should be fine as well.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+&+air,fuel+injection+pressure+regulator,6124

Having had all the symptoms with regulators mentioned by the OP, I understood his reference to 5 bar and 2 bar as pressure readings he obtained with defective 3-bar regulators. The diaphragm hole, or most common defect, doesn't obviously show up on a fuel pressure test. I've also felt like the Bosch is unavailable -- at least new at the prices I was used to. I'd like to hear those cheap Rock Auto prices really refer to "reboxed Bosch" as I've heard nothing comforting from folks using other brands.

I understand. That is what Beck/Arnley used to do. Nowadays, well, things are different. I have used the standard parts one and it seemed fine when I got one a few years ago. But I haven't bought a regulator in a long time.

I've seen the pressure be too high when the internals seized but there wasn't a leak at the vacuum port. That caused stalling and flooding when warm but was good for the warmup period of running.

After serious googling I found a French page where one aftermarket FPR was cross-referenced to following Bosch numbers. So if you can't find 280160294 Volvo/Bosch regulator, you can look for those.
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160225
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160226
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160235
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160241
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160249
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160294
ROBERT BOSCH GMBH BOSCH 280160758

Rockauto delivered new FPR. It is not reboxed Bosch, no brand logos , made in Brazil. Box is BeckArnley. New O-ring leaked so I changed that. It was somehow hard, and did not seated well.

But, pressure is ok, and after one week driving B230 and LH are adapted to each other.

Back