• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gee-Wizz Knock Sensor Question

Hutch.

Just curious, how much can the knock sensor retard timing? LH2.2, 2.4, Chrysler, EZK etc.

For example, you have an exhaust leak or something causing it to mistakenly detect knock. Retarding the timing doesn’t fix the noise, how low will it go? If something like that can even cause it to malfunction.

I’ve looked around and haven’t been able to find a definitive answer.

If you have few hours to spare, find a copy of Volvo greenbook "Volvo TP 31397-1 Ignition.pdf" and it will tell you all about ignition systems and what happens when knock is detected.

Can't tell much about Chrysler, but I'm pretty sure EZK shuts off its ears during the time spark causes detonation, so it wouldn't hear (feel) the exhaust leak. General information: there's a chapter on knock control in Bosch's Automotive Electric/Electronic Systems (I have an old one from when EZK was still new). More specific analysis of EZK makes me go geewhiz reading http://ipdown.net/wiki/index.php/EZK.

“Maximum knock controlled retardation 14 deg BTDC”

14 degrees seems like a ton. I imagine the car would stall before you got there, which, I suppose would definitively stop knock...

Anyway, thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Back