• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

crank, no start

Is that a replacement harness?

I do believe the engine harness is a replacement (darker colored connector). It is in good shape. the side that goes through the Fire wall is the side that seems to be giving me trouble. There are also a few deteriorating wires elsewhere in the engine compartment that I plan to fix.

I do believe the engine harness is a replacement (darker colored connector). It is in good shape. the side that goes through the Fire wall is the side that seems to be giving me trouble. There are also a few deteriorating wires elsewhere in the engine compartment that I plan to fix.

It looked like it was good on one side but I couldn't tell by the orientation what was going on.

My firewall pigtails shortened and all taped up now, so a picture wouldn't tell you anything.

Those connectors are on 240's till 92ish iirc and I have some spares, but i'm not local.

Ok I see it, yeah the engine side harness looks alright in the pic. Probably an updated one. I need one of the grey connectors too; I had a similar mess but just shortcut the whole process for now (cut and splice)

Ok I see it, yeah the engine side harness looks alright in the pic. Probably an updated one. I need one of the grey connectors too; I had a similar mess but just shortcut the whole process for now (cut and splice)

That's probably what I'll do to get me through the weekend. I hope I can put it back together the right way before IPD garage sale though.

UPDATE:

I pulled injector #1, turned the key on and lifted the plate under the big ribber intake tube. Nothing happened. does this mean I have a fuel pump not pumping?

913639_10152755896010576_1286358221_o.jpg

several SCREENS worth of SOLID INFO...avail yourself:
http://www.davebarton.com/volvoharnesses.html

the write up Ken (aka "redwoodchair") did is a BOOKMARK KEEPER...
sort your under-bonnet WIRING *FIRST* so as to preclude "engine fahrs"
and the like...

a previous poster has pointed you at a fellow "TBrix camper"....if possible
get him *and* his test rig together w/your car...if not ping "smokeyfan1000"
who is the "keeper of the Camp TBrix KJet test rig" assembled from fittings
supplied by "redwood" and myself...it ships in a USPS small flat rate box and
is shared on the honour system (ya don't swipe parts / ya use it and ship back or
ping me for the "next guy or gal that needs it" and you ship it on to them...)

Art (aka "cleanflametrap") USED to have a slick LCAB tool but some little
snark out on the west coast borrowed it and kept it - and that is NOT ACCEPTABLE
BEHAVIOUR for a "community" such as ours...you've been apprised....

order of repair:
1) WIRING
2) fuel pressure testing / repair
3) be amazed and sip cool bevvies....;-)

Hey tom i got that wire harness part for u maybe next weekend or if u wanna come down and pick it up its yours.

That would be great, I'm gonna band-aid this and see if I can get the car running and we'll have to play it by ear at that point.

UPDATE:

I pulled injector #1, turned the key on and lifted the plate under the big ribber intake tube. Nothing happened. does this mean I have a fuel pump not pumping?

Hey Tom,

Couple things. The yellow wire is your temp gauge. Goes to the sender in the head. And no, you won't have that 25A blade fuse being talked about.

About the fuel pump - this baby is turned on by ignition pulses, not the ignition key. Repeat your injector test with a jumper fashioned between fuse 5 and 7 -- that bypasses the fuel pump relay and runs the pumps without needing to crank the engine.

An easier test for fuel is to substitute it with a squirt from a can of ether (starting fluid).

Aside from that mangy gray firewall connector, your new car looks pretty good to me.

looks like I need a fuel pump. I fixed the wiring and started Diag over from scratch.

Both fuel pumps are running

the FP relay is working

still crank, no start.

I took the "out" line off the fuel filter and there was very little pressure from the pumps.

I was able to stop the flow easily by putting my finger over the hole.

So, I'm guessing the main fuel pump is toast.

Back