• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

surges

ovlovturbo

not really sure how to explain it, when driving the car, but not every time it sometimes seems as if it starts to cut out, almost like it loose ignition. could this be something to do with spark plug wires, cap, roar, ignition coil? all my vacuum lines look good, i have new plugs gapped right. nothing else looks out of the ordinary

it is a 1993 240 wagon with about 180k, auto.

Could be lots of things.

I would look for bad connections at the battery first. Also, make sure your battery is charging. If alt is dead or intermittent and not charging batt, it can easily cause this as your battery drains.

... it sometimes seems as if it starts to cut out, almost like it loose ignition....
it is a 1993 240 wagon with about 180k, auto.

Does it have the fuses on the battery post, i.e. is it a late production 93?

fuse93.jpg

no fuses on the battery, battery is new and connections are tight, also I have it check in regards to the alternator and that is fine but it did get a new voltage regulator. I actually don't know how old the plug wires, cap, rotor and coil are tohugh. I have never touch them!

Well, there are a few spots along the path between the battery and the fuel injection electronics which can be troublesome after 20 years' exposure to humidity and moisture. You can identify them by the telltale heating that occurs at the poor connection itself.

One is at fuse 6 - the contacts of the holder with the fuse itself, and sometimes, the wiring at the fuseholder (spade connectors and their crimps.)

Another is a plug and socket junction between the main engine and cabin harnesses located under the glove box.

harness2139.jpg

And the most common trouble spot has to be the FI relay above your passenger's foot. The early relays were trouble inside, but all of them can be trouble in the socket which may disappear temporarily when a new relay is swapped in.

hmm ok, so basically just check all those major connections? is there a way to clean them? and connect them to get a better connection?

it sometimes seems as if it starts to cut out, almost like it loose ignition

Check your plug wires with a multimeter.

If you have access to a volt ohm meter, you can also test the resistance of each wire. A good wire should have 1500 to 3500 ohms resistance. Replace any wires with resistance greater than 30,000 ohms which indicates that the internal conductor is failing.

Found that info here:
http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10047/spark-plug-wire-testing

Lastly you haven't said whether you've replaced cap + rotor yet so I see.

so I ended up replacing the plug wires, cap, rotor, coil and wire from coil to cap. the car seems to be running "stronger", I will drive it a little more to make sure. thanks for the help so far

so the car did not really surge, it basically stalled out this time, actually did it a few times. could it be a faulty fuel pump, fuel filter or something like that? where else should i check?

so i drove the car around a little today, no stalling. a few small surges. other than that all is fine. yesterday when it stalled it was low on gas, then it stalled out again right after i filled it up with gar. I am here in CA and i use the 88 octane gas. any thoughts as to what to check, do, change?

Back