• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 no start or weak almost start followed by no start

Djw21a

Car
93 940 Regina

What i checked:
Checked FPR return line an it was dry like it should be. Checked battery post connections an their good. I replaced the fuel pump an filter 3-4 months ago. Checked for spark an its their. Also went a step further an disconnected fuel line an attempted to start car only to get no fuel sprayed out of hide.

Presently im suspecting the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. I can't test anything else tonight since i had to leave the car at petsmart. However I did hook my multimeter up to the fuel pump pigtail. Specfically the ground wire and the pink wire that preps the car before car start. I noticed that the car wasn't getting the 12volts necessary to prep the car for start.

Any ideas guys? Right now im leaning on the Fuel Pump Relay, but think it could be the fuel pump after all.

Click my no start link in sig. Or multimeter to fuel pump fuse to verify power. Jump fuse to power pump. I think Regina has fuel pump fuse....!

Or get labscope with amp clamp and you can diag a weak pump by looking at each of eight commutators on the screen and even calculate rpm of fuel pump. 3000-6000 is good.

Click my no start link in sig. Or multimeter to fuel pump fuse to verify power. Jump fuse to power pump. I think Regina has fuel pump fuse....!

Or get labscope with amp clamp and you can diag a weak pump by looking at each of eight commutators on the screen and even calculate rpm of fuel pump. 3000-6000 is good.

Did this. Also warrantied pump for another. Car still wont start. Don't hear pump cycle either. Verified spark, injectors, and switched out several fuel pump relays but pump refuses to cycle. Could it possibly be Regina itself? I have no clue
In headed to a friends shop he believes he might have a spate Regina to check an see, however I am doubtful at this point that even that will possibly work.

Ideas any1?

Switched in another. No start. Switched in another fuel relay and even that didn't work. Guys I'm at a loss presently. I'm charging my car battery atm via charging cables.

did you check for power at the injectors?

How about the CPS?

Update:
Got car towed home. A friend let me borrow a set of injector test lights earlier today. The injectors are fine. For further proof I got it to sputter by spraying starting fluid in my intake so rest assured the car has spark and this is a fuel issue. Lastly it should be noted that the fuel filter is less than five months old, as was the fuel pump b4 this whole ordeal started.

Car
93 940 Regina

What i checked:
Checked FPR return line an it was dry like it should be. Checked battery post connections an their good. I replaced the fuel pump an filter 3-4 months ago. Checked for spark an its their. Also went a step further an disconnected fuel line an attempted to start car only to get no fuel sprayed out of hide.

Presently im suspecting the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. I can't test anything else tonight since i had to leave the car at petsmart. However I did hook my multimeter up to the fuel pump pigtail. Specfically the ground wire and the pink wire that preps the car before car start. I noticed that the car wasn't getting the 12volts necessary to prep the car for start.

Any ideas guys? Right now im leaning on the Fuel Pump Relay, but think it could be the fuel pump after all.

I just re-read this^

Return line should not be dry, could be empty (as in no fuel pouring out) when removed, but not dry after cranking/running. How about the pressure side? dry also, I'm going to say that your newish pump may be bad. Try disconnecting the high pressure line and kicking it over, if you have power at the pump, and no fuel, bad pump.

Battery holding a charge?

Yes. Fully charged battery. While car was stranded I conserved it as much as possible. I still put it on a 10amp charge when I got it home for a awhile just to be nice to it.

Pulled new pump out of car again. I noted that it takes a 25amp fuse so I just put 10amps on it to see if it'll cycle. It did every time. After I put the pump assembly on a stand an plugged the pigtail back up to the car. Turned car over, no cycle. Tried it several times with the same results. I even put in different fuel pump relays and still got no cycle @ pump.

Swap in a good fuel pump relay.

But the three I've swapped in have all had the same results. They've all clicked as the should and they've all put voltage voltage back to the fuel pump connector.

$hit im just buy one. That way I'll know for sure and if I get the same results least I'll have a spare. I already have a spare coil so what's wrong with having a spare relay.

Swap in a good fuel pump relay.

Do NOT just fire parts at it. Yeah, if you measured voltage at the pump that means the relay is doing it's job.

Link in my sig explains that you can pop cover off relay for low tech method of seeing what is going on.

Fuel pressure test, fuel VOLUME test, fuel pump CURRENT test with ANMETER would tell you if it's alive or dead, listening for it. Apply 12v to it and see if anything comes out of a disconnected hose....

Lots of ways to test a fuel pump!

My GUESS at this point is that you may have a loose hose in the tank. Since you were in there recently...and I think you said you can hear the pump, no? It's kinda tough to read your writing.

Here is a low tech test. ADD 12v to the pump and do you hear it?

Do NOT just fire parts at it. Yeah, if you measured voltage at the pump that means the relay is doing it's job.

Link in my sig explains that you can pop cover off relay for low tech method of seeing what is going on.

Fuel pressure test, fuel VOLUME test, fuel pump CURRENT test with ANMETER would tell you if it's alive or dead, listening for it. Apply 12v to it and see if anything comes out of a disconnected hose....

Lots of ways to test a fuel pump!

My GUESS at this point is that you may have a loose hose in the tank. Since you were in there recently...and I think you said you can hear the pump, no? It's kinda tough to read your writing.

Here is a low tech test. ADD 12v to the pump and do you hear it?

First... Sorry its hard to understand me guys. I usually try to be very clear and concise for the most part. This time however I've been forced to type all this out on my phone.

Second...The low tech test...Sound from fuel pump.. Yes I can answer that now. I can and would hear it. Actually I listen for the pump each time I'm starting to crank up. Throughout this whole ordeal I've not heard it cycle inside the tank even once while im in the drivers seat.

Also I don't know if this is significant but I've noted that the car is putting out 10.9volts instead of 12volts to the pump.

Apply 12v to fuel pump via fusebox, relay socket, or in boot. Do you hear a pump thru filler neck with a hose in your ear?

Back