• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Brand New Clutch Slipping m46

xactorocker

hey i installed a new sachs clutch in my 240 with the m46 about a month ago. and it was slipping in second when i got it in i thought this was the break in period. it seemed to have gone away but now its back and its happening in first second and third. anyone know causes this and what do i need to fix it. i have one second question i am supposed to go camping in a couple days and was going to camp in the volvo. will driving with a new slipping clutch destroy it.
-thanks

Was the flywheel surfaced before the new disc? New PP? If so odds are it wasn't cleaned well before and during install... or a rear main or valve cover gasket is leaking down in there and making a mess.

I would not drive a car with a slippy clutch in all forward gears :omg:

it has a new pressure plate but did not resurface the flywheel i have heard and sanded them before but if that something different i did nothing this time to the flywheel.

What did you adjust the clutch pedal free play to? If it is too tight it can make the clutch slip. You adjust it under the car on the throwout bearing arm. It is supposed to be about 2-4mm. I like it to the loose side if possible.

Last edited:
Yeah I tried all that today because I wanted to make sure it was the flywheel but will the clutch be worn quickly if I drive with the clutch slipping?

Yes, it can be damaged if you drive any long distance with a slipping clutch. Slipping makes heat which will only continue to make the slipping worse.

So what was the clutch free play adjustment? Loose?

Did you clean the pressure plate surface, clutch disk, and flywheel with brake clean before installing it?

Slapping a new disk onto a used, un-sanded flywheel is pretty sketch.

Yeah we are going to take it all back apart clean it and sand the fly wheel thanks for the help.
So what I need to do is clean everything and sand the flywheel? Thanks

Best method to avoid problems is to have the flywheel surfaced on a surface grinder instead of a lathe. How are you going to sand it?

Answer to your question: Yes driving with a slipping clutch will prematurely wear out the clutch disc and likely damage the flywheel and PP (heat spotting).

Not sand the flywheel, have it refinished. Not to give you a hard time but it's a lot easier to read if you use punctuation.
Example:
I helped my uncle jack off a horse.
I helped my uncle jack, off a horse.

If you absolutely can't deal with paying for surfacing at a machine shop. I have used the round hone pads for brake discs on the flywheel surface to make it better for a new clutch disc. it's a velcro backed pad for your drill that will make a proper surface for brake pads and a clutch disc is a friction surface like brakes. Worked well for me. Most good autoparts stores have them. A machine shop is best though.

If you absolutely can't deal with paying for surfacing at a machine shop. I have used the round hone pads for brake discs on the flywheel surface to make it better for a new clutch disc. it's a velcro backed pad for your drill that will make a proper surface for brake pads and a clutch disc is a friction surface like brakes. Worked well for me. Most good autoparts stores have them. A machine shop is best though.

Thank you i am going to try this technique. It just seems like such a hard job getting the flywheel off because of the high torque rating, and the needing to replace all of the seals behind it. Thank you for the help

i just ordered a new clutch cable bushing mine was pretty much deteriorated maybe that will help. So i guess i will see what it looks like when i take it off, hope its not fried. I haven't drove more than say 15 miles at a time. :)
I am going to just park the car to not cause more damage until i get a chance to rip it apart.
thank you all.

The worn cable bushing could certainly be part of the problem.

Replace it before you do anything else, adjust the clutch to spec, then see what you've got.

Back