• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 ac

So guys the ac on my 93 240 isn?t working. My car still blows air it?s just not cold. I tried recharging the ac and that didn?t work. My power steering still works so my condenser isn?t locked up. Should I just replace the whole ac condenser?

Is the compressor clutch engaging? Start with that. Check to see if its getting power when activated by the snowflake switch. If not, check the low pressure switch on the accumulator.

I think it might be the heater valve has gone bad. Did some research and i found that if the heater valve is bad then your ac will blow heat all the time which mine does. I will check for the other things too.

I think it might be the heater valve has gone bad. Did some research and i found that if the heater valve is bad then your ac will blow heat all the time which mine does. I will check for the other things too.

I know that is true for the older style brass heater valves, which where phased out in 1991 as I recall. Not sure if the newer style fail in the same manner.

it's very important to have the correct amount of refrigerant. That said I would start with making sure the compressor comes on and if it doesn't check the low pressure switch on the accumulator near the firewall.

Last summer my 93 was blowing warm and the compressor was cycling quite fast yet no cooling. I checked the low side pressure and it was correct. The system was low on refrigerant and once charged up to the proper amount it has worked fine. The only way you know how much is in there is by pulling out the remaining refrigerant and weighing what is removed. Then you can add the correct fill after you leak check the system.

Checked to see if the clutch was spinning on the compressor when the ac is turned on and it’s not. Is there a way to fix this?

.........yes. There’s a lot of ways to fix this. There’s also a lot of reasons as to why it would not turn on. That’s what you need to diagnose before throwing a new compressor on there.

You can bypass the low pressure switch very easily. This will tell you instantly if you have a clutch issue. And in my opinion it’s the fastest test.

If bypassing it causes the clutch to engage, you likely have a refrigerant level issue.

Last edited:
The lines are apt to rub thru with worn motor mounts, the 1993 condenser galvanically corrodes, & the compressor can often be worn out at this late date/200Kmi+ of even fairly pampered use give or take some oil soaked mounts/accessory bushings all cockeyed and/or a low charge/low oil to help it kiv out a little sooner.

Technically speaking, a micron gauge, some dye in the oil with the proper flashlight, vacuuming and recharging should help nail it down pretty effing quickly.

This isn't necessarily difficult and/or expensive, especially with an R134a car that uses cheap/abundant/legal refrigerant.

But spending a whole hundred dollars or god forbid reading the repair book/sticker specifying charge weight is against cheap/lazy TB religion...

Back