home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #26
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
That is what I was thinking. How much torque is there between the PP and flywheel? Half of the friction is on each...

The thing that bothers me most about that rig is the extended dowel pins. With all that space, the pins are not in shear. They are in bending mode with any torque load. Wider spacers would mitigate that.
The pins don't run the length of the spacer, there are 2 separate pins. I've had this setup for almost 6 months now, and it has been badly abused. My old Tilton triple disk was the same design, and top fuel clutches are fairly similar as well (they actually rely on the riser to keep the clutch plate lined up under load). I personally have no fear of running this style setup. I do however fear clutches coming apart, so I'm moving to an automatic this winter

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #27
EivlEvo
Board Member

I have a factory Viggen plate coming as well but...

1. The friction between the PP and FW seems minimal other than where it folds down to interface with a bolt no? (Maybe this is why you said wider is better) Also though... I feel that cylindrical is better and knowing that... you can only go so wide.
2. Those dowel pins are merely an alignment thing. Since there can be... "float" in all but the most well machined bolt setups I'd suggest that the pins probably play an extremely minimal role once it's all squared up and snugged down... then again, I have no idea wth I'm talking about so...
3. As has been mentioned... there are plenty of setups that seem to be run this way... what about scatter shields? I can't imagine anything exists for the M4X transmissions and I wonder if there's even room for one in there?
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #28
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Yeah well, I was just talking out my ass anyway, as I have no familiarity with high-performance clutches. How can you argue with "many are out there and no known deaths or amputations"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
who cares, push start it if you have a man tranny.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #29
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Yeah well, I was just talking out my ass anyway, as I have no familiarity with high-performance clutches. How can you argue with "many are out there and no known deaths or amputations"?
Haha... fair I guess. Maybe it still warrants discussion though. Isn't that what internet forums are for? Endless debates about nonsense that never gets solved and then eventually nothing happens?
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #30
noz-e8tr
Board Member

Invest in a tranny blanket and dog the crap out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This subculture is not conducive to meeting women let alone inspiring them to drive 30 year old, rectilinear, underpowered shit boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote