• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting from B230FT to B234

ecow

I have a '87 745 with the B230FT and a M46. As I recall when I parked it the miles were about 350K and it wasn't happy. I have a '89 744 with a strong running B234 and a AW72 that I wrecked. I recently also stripped another 744 that I had started a Ross Converse 5.0 conversion on decades ago and never finished.
I would like to get my 745 running soon and while I would really love to have the 5.0 in the wagon I was thinking dropping the B234 in might get me on the road sooner with less fabrication.
I have found plenty of threads about swapping from 2.2 to 2.4 but was wondering about what problems I would find if I wanted to convert the B234 to the 2.2 that is all ready in the wagon. Since I would be keeping the M46 I would have issues with 2.4 and the 2.2 flywheel and wondered if things might be simpler to use the harness from the B230.. Anyone tried this foolishness already and have suggestions?

Swap over the crossmember and the brake booster and throttle cable and go go go.

Wiring works too. All you would have to do is swap the MAF wiring to the other side and bypass rez pack.

Swap over the crossmember and the brake booster and throttle cable and go go go.

Wiring works too. All you would have to do is swap the MAF wiring to the other side and bypass rez pack.

I don't think you even have to swap the booster as I've seen B234f cars with the fat booster in the yards in the past.

Use the wiring off the B230T? Cool. I have replaced the wires already so they should be good to swap over to the new engine.

Thanks!

I turboed a couple b234f's in a 740/940 turbo and the only thing I had to do was extend the TPS wires, I think....

Point is, wiring works just fine the other way around like you are asking.

Another issue you will have is: you will need to move the washer bottle over to the other side. I forget if it's the same. Probably is. The wiring will be the pain.

picture.php

picture.php

What lh 2.2 16 valve EZK and ECU boxes should he use? I'd make the 87 lh 2.4 and use a 240 lh2.4 engine harness myself. Way easier I'd think plus side motor would run proper with correct fuel injection for it. My plan is 16v NA my 77 242 gonna lh2.4 it cause I got stock lh2.4 na 16v puters.

That being said I do know a loco Clackamus boy who had me program him up a custom lh2.2 16v EZK ignition puter. He ran lh2.2 16v turbo, said it worked way better with stock volvo 16v turbo EZK ignition map..

I overlooked that it's lh2.2. Meh, that's a lot of work anyways to ditch the b230. I would just fix the B230.

B234 distributor is different than B230 dizzy, so it's going to be a headache to get the B234 to run with LH2.2. Not sure if you can transplant the hall sensor guts to the B234 dizzy.

-Ryan

Back