• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

v40, no boost, no power, what to check?

ghost civic

My v40 had been running pretty well, until today
while slowing down to a stop light an noticed that I could hear the "whistle" from the turbo even while slowing down. And when I pulled away from the light it was clear that power was lacking and the turbo sound was very loud (think big diesel truck turbo whine)
After making a stop (which allowed the motor to cool down some) it started stalling at stop lights. I had to give it throttle to keep RPMs up while at a stop.

Cruising at 2k rpms, my "MPG" readout is saying 11-15mpg even while cruising on flat road at 40mph.

Current DTC codes:
p0130
p0234
p0172

Even if the car is sitting in park and you rev it up to 3-4k rpms, the whine of the turbo is much more noticeable than normal.

I have done a basic check of vacuum lines, boost hoses. Nothing jumps out but I didn't have a ton of time to check before it got dark.

Could the waste gate be stuck open? Would any electric component cause that?

Could the compressor bypass valve be stuck open? This was any early thought but if that was the case then wouldn't the O2 sensor read lean instead of rich?

I also wondered if it could be the MAF sensor...but that would not explain the change in the sound of the turbo.

Ideas?
There is a valve on the airbox with 3 vacuum lines and plug on it, what does it do?
The valve near the radiator that has 2 vacuum lines and a plug...is it the TCV?
Does the TCV control the compressor bypass valve or the waste gate?

again, running rich...louder than normal turbo sound...may stall at idle when at stop light...big loss in power and all symptoms started suddenly.

Test for boost leaks. Check all fittings and hoses for cracks/holes/tears

I tested the TCV, applied 12v and it worked fine.
Checked lines from the TCV
Went over all the pipes...and the last part I check, the charge pipe to the intercooler...not connected to intercooler :roll:

For today, fixing the v40 only cost me a few turns of the wrench.

However, on the top of the compressor housing, and inside the charge pipe by the intercooler there was some oil. So the turbo may need a rebuild or replacement down the road. I've been checking my oil level like a hawk so I know the oil loss is minimal. But at least for tomorrow I can tell my wife that I will be leaving her a working car, as this weekend I have to go out of town and will be using hers since it gets far better MPG. She did not look thrilled when I told her the volvo had a major issue and she would be stuck without a car this weekend

Year? Mileage? History?
It may help those trying to help you.

Other than that, I'd check the PTC nipple.

Back