• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo that gets the best MPG

Anybody know what's up with the Feds? On a lark I popped the Volvos into the EPA fuel economy database, and all the ones I checked (86 740, 88 240, 82 240) came up around 18/20. I've never gotten that low except when there's been a major problem, so I'm wondering what they did to those cars - especially given that the EPA numbers were supposed to be unrealistically high.

Anybody know what's up with the Feds? On a lark I popped the Volvos into the EPA fuel economy database, and all the ones I checked (86 740, 88 240, 82 240) came up around 18/20. I've never gotten that low except when there's been a major problem, so I'm wondering what they did to those cars - especially given that the EPA numbers were supposed to be unrealistically high.

Estimated correction to the new test cycle.

I drove my daughter's 760 (loaded turbo/intercooled 2.3) wagon for about 3 months while getting it ready for her to take it over. Pretty consistent 16-17 mpg around town and never better than 21 mpg on the highway. And that was trying to get good mileage.

Took my 242 up to a car show in Greensboro a couple of weekends ago. Filled it up as I left town. Topped it up upon my return. 215.3 miles on 7.82 gallons. 27.5 mpg. About 20 miles wasn't Interstate.

If I'm light on the throttle, I can get 30 in my 244.

My girlfriend's stock 244 Automatic gets about 25-26 highway, low 20s in town.

I can regularly touch 31-32 in our 855 n/a on the highway.

I find it hard to believe people get over 25 in a 240 regardless of manual or Auto, maybe its the high elevation and steep grades I deal with on my route to the other side of the state.

I find it hard to believe people get over 25 in a 240 regardless of manual or Auto, maybe its the high elevation and steep grades I deal with on my route to the other side of the state.

I cross a mountain every day on my commute...I start at 2,000' AGL, go up to 4,000' AGL, then back down...same route on the way home, and I'm knocking back 29 mpg average every day. Then again, I'm +T'd and Megasquirted.

For the OP You want the non-turbo high compression models (10:1) and use high octane fuel with an ignition system that can take use of it (eg older UK models designed for 4 star). Compression is why diesels are better, aswell as having no throttle valve.

I have an MPG meter and with hypermiling tricks I can get 37mpg (imperial) average. Peak cruise is about 45mpg @ 30mph. With normal/gentle driving, before I put the meter in, I got 24mpg, my sister gets 30mpg average consistently in the same car without trying. I think partly the key is not to be too gentle, accelerate briskly and keep a very constant speed when cruising. Coasting in neutral is the next best trick (90mpg at 30mph, compared with 50mpg with light throttle), but some doubt this to be safe.

(1995 940 B230FT manual non-AC estate)

Last edited:
I figure this one does the best, it runs on renewable organic gravity.
volvo-gravity-racer.jpg

California fuels have had the reputation of giving less MPH for many years. I don't know if that is true or not. I have noticed a difference in the performance of my cars when I travel down there. Countless people have complained of getting 2-3 MPG less on the fuels down there. That may be why you consistently get less MPG. The mileage figures I posted are not exaggerated or inaccurate. I check all the cars I get a chance to drive for any length of time before they sell using the trip odometer reset each time I fill up. I run them until they are down to ~ 1/8 tank left, then fill up again. It makes the error percentage very small that way. I also run the tires at or near maximum inflation. That has been proven to have the biggest affect on fuel mileage. As much as 2-3 mpg depending on the pressures the tires are run at. Also, I live at 230 ft above sea level. Someone in Colorado can't expect the same mileage when they live at 5,000 ft above sea level. The figures I posted are what these cars were rated at by the EPA. It is what you should expect to get. This isn't on an outlier, I have 4-5 240s per year, 5-6 960/S/V90s per year and ~ 20 740/940s per year.
-

Quality of gas can make a difference, try to stay away from gas with ethanol, you will get better mileage with pure gas. There is a website that has a list of gas stations that sell ethanol free gas in USA + Canada. I have the website on my other computer, will post it later.
Driving habits + style can make a big difference in mpg as well as other things, like a belly pan, lowered, higher tire pressure, lower rolling resistance tires (Michelin Energy etc.), running 16" tires instead of 15", synthetic fluids, K=N air filter,. There are alot of little things that can make a difference and these little thins add up.

I have a 93 945 N/A Rex/Regina and I got a consistent 29-31 through the Mountains from Calgary to Vancouver or Back, and this was before I changed my knock senor, I knew it was an issue, but I didn't think it was to bad. I have only made one trip to Calgary to Vancouver + Back since changing the knock senor and I got 32 1/2 mpg.
I usually only really check mileage one way as I'm usually hauling a heavy load one way and normal the other way.
I'll be making the trip again at the end of the month and it will be in colder weather and I'll most likely have my snow tires on, so we shall see.
Oh yea, I go by my GPS because my speedo is #%^&*, another thing I have to fix! :O)

The only time I really measured I got 31 US MPG in my '88 240 on a 800km trip, cruising at a stable 110km/h with studded winter tyres and three driving lights in the front.

244 / B230F / LH2.2 / 162k miles / A-cam / M47 / 3.54.

-

Quality of gas can make a difference, try to stay away from gas with ethanol, you will get better mileage with pure gas. There is a website that has a list of gas stations that sell ethanol free gas in USA + Canada. I have the website on my other computer, will post it later.
Driving habits + style can make a big difference in mpg as well as other things, like a belly pan, lowered, higher tire pressure, lower rolling resistance tires (Michelin Energy etc.), running 16" tires instead of 15", synthetic fluids, K=N air filter,. There are alot of little things that can make a difference and these little thins add up.

I have a 93 945 N/A Rex/Regina and I got a consistent 29-31 through the Mountains from Calgary to Vancouver or Back, and this was before I changed my knock senor, I knew it was an issue, but I didn't think it was to bad. I have only made one trip to Calgary to Vancouver + Back since changing the knock senor and I got 32 1/2 mpg.
I usually only really check mileage one way as I'm usually hauling a heavy load one way and normal the other way.
I'll be making the trip again at the end of the month and it will be in colder weather and I'll most likely have my snow tires on, so we shall see.
Oh yea, I go by my GPS because my speedo is #%^&*, another thing I have to fix! :O)

Yeah my 83 loves 89 octane as ill get well over 30mpg. Then again I really only drive the speed limit and I never get on it. Even my 76 Valiant got 28+ mpg. Old cars in general love fuel that burns longer and they reciprocate the love by improved mpgs.

My 2004 S60 2.4i (naturally apsirated) with FWD and a 5-speed manual got 5.5 L/100 km (= 42 mi/ US gal) (cruise control @ 110 km/h = 68 mi/h) on its last highway journey to another city to be traded in for an S60R that got 8.5 L/100km on the trip back.

For what it's worth the car had the iPD aftermarket exhaust, and the MS Design body kit that brought the bottom of the bodywork fairly close to the ground. That likely counts for something.

Around the city the 2.4i S60 got about 10 L / 100 km, but that's with a lot of lousy cold weather, winter gas, and snow tires.

P1020755.jpg

1990 245, M47, LH3.1, IPD N/A sport exhaust, T cam, valve lash set to 0.018", 5W40 Shell Rotella T6. Lowered w/ IPD sport springs. All splash pans/air dams installed, Multi-X rims with 205/60 tires to closely match OE size (keep the odo accurate).

26-27 mpg combined, ~40% highway.

Also - you can easily gain 1-2 mpg if you remove the catalytic converter. Illegal in MD, though..

1976 245DL w/ b230F, LH2.2, M47 and 4.10 R&P ; Highway 29 MPG. Consistently.
1979 244DL w/b23F KJet Lamba, M46 and 3.73 R&P; Highway 28 MPG .
1986 245DL w/b230F stock, AW70 ; Highway 26 MPG.
1979 242DL w/b230F LH2.2 with Breakerless ign, AW70, 3.73; Highway 24 MPG
1989 745 GL w/b230f Regina, AW-70L : 15 MPG (I gave up on these beast it is parked).

Colorado ~ 7k elevation. Driving 65-75 MPH . Redblocks get good MPG. French electronic ones don't, or at least until I can find more parts for it.

I think partly the key is not to be too gentle, accelerate briskly and keep a very constant speed when cruising. Coasting in neutral is the next best trick (90mpg at 30mph, compared with 50mpg with light throttle), but some doubt this to be safe.

At one time the 240 owners manuals from Volvo had driving tips on mileage improvemnts and driving style. Their tip was to accelerate as quickly through the gears to reach top gear as soon as possible, then slowly accelerate in top gear to your cruising speed.
If you have a later car with the shift indicator arrow and follow this rule precisely, you can knock out 28-29 mpg easily: 1st-2nd gear, 10 mph shift, 2nd-3rd 20 mph, 3rd-4th 30 mph, 4th-5th/OD 42 mph.
I've had 3 240 M47 with the shift arrow and over the past 15 yrs this tip is accurate and works. As you shift stomp on it nearly to the floor. If you have a cam gear, advance it to bring the torque band down below 2k rpm and it works so much better I'll never run a cam straight up ever again. I rarely shift above 2k rpm's, consistent city mpg 25-26, and 29-30 highway. This can be wonderful way to drive with a modified 2 1/2" free flow exhaust and M cam advanced does it all w/o flooring it.
Also the later LH 2.4/3.1 has fuel cut when the throttle is at the base idle position and your foot is off the peddle, IIRC it is below 1800 rpm and below 40 mph, so those cars are much better, and no need to drive in neutral.

I just want to add another car that got great mpg, one you wouldn't expect, but one that performs way better than an AWxx auto trans:
85 745 GLE, LH 2.2 and ZF Auto 4 speed w/lock-up got 32 mpg often on the highway. The lock-up engages at 52 mph.
Also I worked on a friends '91 740 Regina who laimed 31 mpg highway consistently, and the reason is that car has the OD engaged all the time, even in lower gears, unless it's turned off. It was an AW71L

Last edited:
1990 245, M47, LH3.1, IPD N/A sport exhaust, T cam, valve lash set to 0.018", 5W40 Shell Rotella T6. Lowered w/ IPD sport springs. All splash pans/air dams installed, Multi-X rims with 205/60 tires to closely match OE size (keep the odo accurate).

26-27 mpg combined, ~40% highway.

Also - you can easily gain 1-2 mpg if you remove the catalytic converter. Illegal in MD, though..

You can knock off ~2 mpg from those numbers due to the tire size is about 1" smaller than the size calibrated for stock tire size, 185R-14 = 205/65-15 = 25.6 inch OD.
It is not 185/70-14 = 205/60-15 = 24.8" OD. That is a sedan tire.

Oh on the valve lash, I use 0.019" set cold. It will make a difference especially if you hand lap the shims to as close to zero variation betwen the valves as possible.

Back