• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fitting a 531 head?

GJM

Hi folks,

Before I start, I know, I know, some people argue don't bother with a 531 head. But let's just go on the presumption i have one to hand.

Just wondering if anybody knows what is involved in fitting a 531 head to my 92' 240 with a b230f.

The free'er flowing 531 head is from a 940 so has a head mounted dizzy.
I'm told however its just a case of bolting it onto the b230f block then using the 240 cam cover to blank the dizzy.

It would be using a vx3 cam the 531 came with so shouldn't need shimming i guess.

Going to top this off with a 2.25 decat exhaust so should push it from 115 hp to 130+ as per b230fx spec.

Anything else I've missed?

Reshimming has nothing to do with what cam you use, it has to do with manufacturing tolerances. It's best to check clearances when you replace a cam and replace shims as necessary. Lose valves are noise, but not a huge deal. Tight valves will likely burn at some point.

The only unexpected issue I had when I stuck a 531 on my car many years ago was when I went to fill it with coolant - turns out there was an open coolant passage on the intake manifold mounting face that the car intake manifold did not cover.

YEah the main thing is since it came from a car and he's gonna use the cam that it has it, there should be no problems. Over here in USA the 531's only came in boats, and that means problems with trying to figure out how to drill and tap for the extra temp sensor, put that hose bib in the rear hole for the heater. Then of course that steel insert on exhaust hole four..

According to my undertstanding B230FX/FB has different tune than B230F. For full gain you'll need a new tune but it works without also.

YEah the main thing is since it came from a car and he's gonna use the cam that it has it, there should be no problems.
Good point, I thought he was swapping a cam in on first read.

Removing and replacing a head is no reason to reshim. On an 8V you don't even need to take the cam out.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Yeah I've heard the b230fb/x may use a different ecu than the b230f to make use of the head and cam so I'll see if the original vendor has the ecu. Presumably the ecu should just be plug in and play?

Back