home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
EivlEvo
Board Member

Exclamation T5 mid-swap questions...

Lads. Car is a 1993 245.

I yanked my auto box today and have my T5 all prepped and ready to go in.

With the wiring on the automatic shifter... what wires do what? Can I cut them? Do I need them? I have to assume one is for reverse, but the box has a reverse light switch on it. Some of the others are prob the neutral safety switch? I remembered someone saying these were sweden colors, but it seems there are more wires... so I'm unsure.

Flywheel issue seems solved.
I have JohnV's billet flywheel, and a Kennedy Stage 2 Pressure plate. Thing is... this pressure plate looks like it's for a dog dished type of flywheel, but JohnV's wheel is flat.

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that Kennedy Stage 2 was Kennedy Stage 2... do I have a non-compatible pressure plate?

Also... does anyone have a torque spec for the flywheel bolts? Should I use threadlocker? Couldn't find a spec in the book.

Last edited by EivlEvo; 08-13-2017 at 11:14 AM..
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer

Flywheel to crank bolts are specified at 70 Nm or 50 ft lbs. Threadlocker if you want, I wouldn't.
Pressure plate to flywheel I'd use a small dot just for my own peace of mind so preference there too.

I'm unfamiliar with JohnV's flywheels so I can't speak on that.

Don't forget about bridging(shorting) the neutral safety switch so the car starts.
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Do you have the aluminum risers?

'90 245 Daily

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

I want all your nostalgic Volvo stuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
EivlEvo
Board Member

No I do not have those aluminum risers? Where might one have acquired such things?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
EivlEvo
Board Member

The flywheel came with zero hardware... I had a whole thread about it that I'm not trying to rehash... but, seeing that makes perfect sense. I also need way longer hardware it seems.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #6
EivlEvo
Board Member

This also seems like a pain in the ass to get after the fact regarding... how to balance it?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

John can supply the risers. Everything is zero balanced and the risers weight next to nothing. I have 0 vibration issues with mine.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:23 AM   #8
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDenny View Post
John can supply the risers. Everything is zero balanced and the risers weight next to nothing. I have 0 vibration issues with mine.
You wouldn't by chance know the dimensions of such a thing... or the thread pitch or bolt size would you?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

The bolts I used are m8x1.25x35mm if I remember correctly. Make sure they are grade 10.8
Old 08-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
The bolts I used are m8x1.25x35mm if I remember correctly. Make sure they are grade 10.8
I see there are spacers for the dowels as well. Did you just get extra pins or long dowels?

I assume the spacers aren't threaded? I wonder if I could make such a thing out of some bar stock... spacers that is...
Old 08-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #11
lummert
Board Member

www.volvowiringdiagrams.com
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EivlEvo View Post
I see there are spacers for the dowels as well. Did you just get extra pins or long dowels?

I assume the spacers aren't threaded? I wonder if I could make such a thing out of some bar stock... spacers that is...
I received everything from John. Came with an extra set of dowels. Spacers are not threaded.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:

Saw this.. I just zoomed off to post office and although lobby was open their "automated postal center " was gone.. Tried another Post office and i could see the machine but doors were locked.. Sent you a Pea EM...

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #14
EivlEvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Saw this.. I just zoomed off to post office and although lobby was open their "automated postal center " was gone.. Tried another Post office and i could see the machine but doors were locked.. Sent you a Pea EM...
John. Your PM is full. I emailed. That's all fine. LMK what I owe you.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #15
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Do you have the aluminum risers?
That's some sketchy looking shlt right there.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #16
SLO240
Awesome Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
That's some sketchy looking shlt right there.
Thread jack a little bit, but why do you call that sketchy for the ignorant like me.

Buyer/seller feedback. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...67#post4602067
SLO240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #17
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Looks fine to me, common practice for multidisc clutches. Same as a fueler slipper clutch.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 AM   #18
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO240 View Post
Thread jack a little bit, but why do you call that sketchy for the ignorant like me.
Anything pedestal mount makes me nervous. I've seen a couple come apart and it is not pretty.
Both times the cars were totaled from the carnage. Ever see pieces of flywheel/clutch come through a floor board, dash and out of the cowl then fly 50 yards away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Looks fine to me, common practice for multidisc clutches. Same as a fueler slipper clutch.
Common to use "10.8" (10.9?) bolts from your local Ace Hardware and aluminum spacers/pedestals?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #19
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Only 50 yards? There are YouTube videos of idjits damn near cutting cars in half with stock clutches. How are they any safer?

Any clutch explosion is something I have no desire to be anywhere near!

Just because it's open makes it no less safe as the forces unleashed in a clutch explosion would easily peal the plate off a dog dish flywheel.

Last edited by Dirty Rick; 08-14-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
sbabbs
Board Member

Back when I was an idiot and my stock dog dish exploded at PIR in the burn out box it took a chunk out of the track also besides the pieces that flew 50000 yards over to the horse track and killed a grayhound dog.

I remember when they used to let you pass on cornholio's pass. Now double yellow a hole way.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
EivlEvo
Board Member

So wait... are we alleging that that setup with those spacers seems dangerous? Or are we just saying that when clutches let go they're going to tear your legs off?

Because the thing is... I'm not sure that the "case" part of the pressure plate, which is prob some stamped steel, combined with the glass cast aluminum bell housing actually offers much protection?

I mean... I definitely agree that the whole spinning disc made of slicy things is dangerous, but is the aluminum spacer setup really any more dangerous than a normal setup?

Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #22
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
So wait... are we alleging that that setup with those spacers seems dangerous? Or are we just saying that when clutches let go they're going to tear your legs off?

Because the thing is... I'm not sure that the "case" part of the pressure plate, which is prob some stamped steel, combined with the glass cast aluminum bell housing actually offers much protection?

I mean... I definitely agree that the whole spinning disc made of slicy things is dangerous, but is the aluminum spacer setup really any more dangerous than a normal setup?

Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
I wouldn't run that set up. It's probably not going to come apart, but it just looks sketchy with those long bolts and aluminum spacers. I like my legs to much to run something like that.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #23
Lankku
Board Member

To me it seems that the problem with long spacers like in the picture is that the joint could yield or budge under stress, even when bolts are tight. Lifting clutch sharply with high rpm and sticky tires is the worst situation. Friction in the bolted joint keeps parts from moving and possible yield or vibration caused by the spacer reduces that. Wider spacer helps. If I'm anywhere near though.

444 -55, 145 Express -71, 242 DL -80 4.6l, 245 -88 "B6284T", 245 -90 "B6284T", 965 -95 B6254T
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #24
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
Wider spacer helps.
That is what I was thinking. How much torque is there between the PP and flywheel? Half of the friction is on each...

The thing that bothers me most about that rig is the extended dowel pins. With all that space, the pins are not in shear. They are in bending mode with any torque load. Wider spacers would mitigate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
who cares, push start it if you have a man tranny.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #25
Tuff240
240 Ninja

...or a normal flat mounted PP