• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Balance auxiliary shaft question

Roger88

Hi all!

I'm looking to very soon sending my b230 engine block off for getting it bored, honed and decked.

I am sending crank shaft to get balanced aswell but my question is would I still retain the counter weights on the auxiliary shaft or get them machined off so the shaft only purpose is to drive the oil pump.

And while I remember are the oil galleries fine for big power or do I need to get them altered (I am going to get the oil pump upgrade aswell)

Cheers

Roger

They are not counter weights but the old fuel pump drive. I see no reason why you can not grind them down and the some with the dizzy drive blank.

Hi all!

I'm looking to very soon sending my b230 engine block off for getting it bored, honed and decked.

I am sending crank shaft to get balanced aswell but my question is would I still retain the counter weights on the auxiliary shaft or get them machined off so the shaft only purpose is to drive the oil pump.

And while I remember are the oil galleries fine for big power or do I need to get them altered (I am going to get the oil pump upgrade aswell)

Cheers

Roger

back up...WHY are you going to sendf the crank out for balance? In clear text, what have you done to it that has affected the factory balance?

You do know that all inline 4 4 strokes are always horribly "balanced", dontcha?

Smarter guys than I say "weight match rods and pistons and you are fine.

back up...WHY are you going to sendf the crank out for balance? In clear text, what have you done to it that has affected the factory balance?

You do know that all inline 4 4 strokes are always horribly "balanced", dontcha?

Smarter guys than I say "weight match rods and pistons and you are fine.

Hi mate I have K1 H beam rods and Wiseco forged pistons so that's why I'm sending it off to be balanced?

Cheers

Roger

They are not counter weights but the old fuel pump drive. I see no reason why you can not grind them down and the some with the dizzy drive blank.

Hi mate,

Cheers for that information, the part closer to centre of aux shaft just looked like a counter weight as it was offset, learn something new every day!

Cheers

Roger

I wouldn't spend more than free-fitty on having the fuel pump and block dist blanks ground down. There's absolutely nothing to be gained there.

If you get a crank machined down to the next oversize, does that affect the balance enough to require a rebalance? But then the (tiny) amount of metal removed is offset by bearings that are that tiny amount thicker. Hmmm....

Hi mate I have K1 H beam rods and Wiseco forged pistons so that's why I'm sending it off to be balanced?

Cheers

Roger

weigh each piston and each rod. mark them. assemble so this piston and that rod weighs closes and you have the smallest overall weight difference..Betch the rods are within 1 gram and the pistons within 1-2 g
Weight group like OEMs.
Save money for gearbox with good ratios.. The return in fun on that is much more than the nothing gained in obsessing about sub 1 gram differences..It ain't getting spun up to 14,000

Back