• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

Long way from spooling. Slapping parts on to see what fitment issues are already evident.
IMG_20180120_155649_zpslta8iylg.jpg

Not sure how well the DP will work in a 240 Volvo - it's made for a 240SX Nissan. But it should be close.
IMG_20180120_155700_zpsxiwx0jxf.jpg

Might need to move one of the wastegates over a little - it seems a little intmate with the STS engine mount.
IMG_20180120_160301_zpskjaqinsk.jpg

And another issue - the heater hoses can't really work crammed into an exhaust like that. I'll pull the pipes out, tap the housing, and put in some 90 degree elbows.
[
IMG_20180120_160311_zpspdto3ilr.jpg

I've seen people drill oil returns into the front timing cover, but the stock sized pulley covers all of that. I might drill the block along the side, maybe the oil pan.

Last edited:
You don't have a lot of room to work with between the starter and the lower control arm mount. For reference, my NA downpipes are 2.25", and there's just more than an air gap on either side of them. The picture was taken from the front, so there's some parallax going on, but the bellhousing mating surface is basically flush with the firewall. Yes, that's the back of an STS mount just ahead of the starter.

01uqwJPl.jpg

That downpipe is going to need some pretty heavy reworking - I'd almost be tempted to say you want it to drop to frame rail height by the front half of the starter.

I figured the downpipe was the least likely to work without tweaking. Maybe I'll use some 3.5" oval tubing there, and/or a tiny starter.

It's making me antsy to get the 16V motor out and start seeing where the issues are. Like where I can fit an oil return.

Heh, we've got lots of very large oak trees. We've dinked around with cute little leaf blowers in the past, but after replacing them repeatedly we just got something sized for the task.

As I age I’ve come to realize that leaf blowers merely treat the symptom. Break out the chainsaw and cure the illness.

Yup - you’ll need to set it in and then see where all the rock/hard places are. Suspect when you’re done, oil return will have been one of the easier problems to solve.

I just mentioned that because I was getting itchy to drill something this last weekend, but... that's a simple thing, don't want to drill now and regret later.

FWIW, just use F-body accessories. My LS1 came with them, everything clears, I have AC and heat, and flipped headers and a front exit exhaust. Power steering pump is actually the exact same as the 93 Volvo PS, same fitting and everything. No ridiculous Dirty Dingo flying buttress alternator mounts.

I really think the F-body stuff makes a lot more sense for swaps than some of the crazy front accessory adaptations I've seen, but whatever works for you!

What's the holdup on pulling the 16V out?

Nothing much really. I just vaguely planned on keeping it together until the LS drivetrain was closer to going in. But really, I might be about as far as I can go with that until it goes in.

I do need to get it inspected and get 2 years worth of plates on it now, before I have to worry about getting a turbo V8 swap past a state inspection. If I get 2 years of plates on it it will be over 25 years old next time, and I can get it on year of manufacture plates, like my PV is. no annual inspections, it's legal for life with some annual mileage restrictions.

FWIW, just use F-body accessories. My LS1 came with them, everything clears, I have AC and heat, and flipped headers and a front exit exhaust. Power steering pump is actually the exact same as the 93 Volvo PS, same fitting and everything. No ridiculous Dirty Dingo flying buttress alternator mounts.

I really think the F-body stuff makes a lot more sense for swaps than some of the crazy front accessory adaptations I've seen, but whatever works for you!

I got OEM Corvette LS3 stuffs for it. Not sure I really need that extra clearance up front, but since I was buying pretty much everything from scratch anyhow. The only usable part I had was the truck bracket that put the alternator waaaay up high.

Yes. Nothing else fits without the matching balancer.

Mine had a truck balancers, but it had a chunk broken off, into the ribs.

As I age I?ve come to realize that leaf blowers merely treat the symptom. Break out the chainsaw and cure the illness.

Yup - you?ll need to set it in and then see where all the rock/hard places are. Suspect when you?re done, oil return will have been one of the easier problems to solve.

yeah... cut the trees down...

that's a GREAT idea..... if you're lazy.

Unlike John, mine rarely gets used for leaves.

Our patio and backyard would be miserable in the summer without the trees. With the trees, it's usually pretty pleasant.

Far from lazy - but time and lots of leaf moving over 5 decades have worn me down; less time dealing with the inexorable rain of organic debris from above and more time playing with the cars. The trees are fine -- they just have no business being close to the house --- for the long term good of the house.

I can see the benefit of getting your next inspection squared away with the current drivetrain. Mine just passed 35 years old -- no more inspections of any type for it here.

Well, despite the law saying 'over 25 years old: http://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneSection.aspx?section=301.131&bid=15721&hl=

I asked the DMV via email and they responded that it's eligible for historic plates now. Sweet. Just need one more inspection on the 'more legal than it will be' configuration and never worry about it again.

Not that the V8 will really be all that illegal, but I was wondering if they'd say anything about the WG dump tube up front.

take this as constructively as possible, but it seems like you are taking a step backwards with that turbo kit. just looking at it and having done the swap before it looks like its going to be a nightmare to fit. I would honestly just use normal manifolds and flip them, it makes life and downpipe routing a lot easier. my 240 has the most simple exhaust on it with no radical bends at all really. I found that the hooker manifolds sts recommends with their mounts offer a lot of clearance for a 3 inch downpipe between the frame rail and the manifold, no oddball work required

Back