• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Different Take on a V8 Swap - Duder's 4.6L Twin Turbo 245

if you get parts cut all fancy like make extras of that frame rail mount that picks up the crossmember bolts. I'd buy a set to make b230 mounts.

if you get parts cut all fancy like make extras of that frame rail mount that picks up the crossmember bolts. I'd buy a set to make b230 mounts.

Good idea, and will do. I plan on getting these "fancy cut" for sure using computer-CAD designs after I do the cardboard-CAD mockups and converge on a final geometry.

Cool - I'll get crackin' on those.

I ordered a cheap new Denso AC compressor from RockAuto the other day. Showed up today so I offered it up to the engine and did a quick test-fit with a piece of 2.5" exhaust from the Mustang turbo kit. Looks like we will have enough room, despite the compressor being larger than I counted on. I think I also figured out a way to snake the driver's side downpipe past the steering rack and column. Will also need to think about using the stock Mustang power steering pump, as there's a chance I can make everything fit with it - the pump is quite small.

1HxNZc2h.jpg

avCZ13jh.jpg

Floppy pipe...

PdswRAGh.jpg

Full support.

jrvZo2Rh.jpg

That's tidy having the compressor way down there.

Yeah it looks like it'll work out pretty well. This car never had AC so I'll have to add the evaporator and everything else too.

I wish the PS pump was down as low on the driver's side but unfortunately that area is occupied by oil filter and coolant port business. The pump ends up much higher on that side and may pinch my forward-facing log manifold too much. I'll mock up the pulley in cardboard and play around with it. The pump itself is pretty small - likely only the pulley that would be an issue.

If I don't use the Mustang pump then the backup plan is a remote mounted electro-hydraulic pump from a modern Mini. Similar to what the MR2 and some Mazdas used.

This project is taking a bit of a turn! After a long hiatus I started working on steering column and mount stuff more this winter, but got sucked in by Lemons racing again (5.3L E36 and a side-project 1967 Opel Kadett Class C car). So not much progress to speak of.

Then my friend Nate calls out of the blue asking for V8 swap Volvo advice. I had no idea he was into these cars, but he's built some killer projects in the past including an LS7 E30 M3 trackday car that absolutely ripped. He was looking at a 145 as a basis, because smog exempt, but indicated that he'd like something that felt a bit more modern and civilized, for family-friendly road trips. I mentioned my '84 diesel 240 which ticks all of those boxes. The diesels are of course hard to find, so he asked if I'd be interested in selling. I realized I didn't really need 2x smog-exempt 240 wagons, so we worked out a deal and he picked up the blue car this weekend.

I did some rearranging and reassembly to get it ready to go. Now he has a clean engine bay for his V8 shenanigans, in a smog exempt shell with a clean upgraded '93 interior. I'm excited to see how it progresses!

Should be needless to say, but my twin-turbo 4.6L will find a new vehicular home and the project will live on..don't worry...

lyWLPb5l.jpg

eplusiRl.jpg

vKOJazNl.jpg

teRil0wl.jpg

The car is in good hands - he is already working on an 8.8 for it.

To clarify, the 4.6 is staying with me and will be introduced to my green '75 wagon very soon.

Cheers Chris! Were stoked on the addition to the family, and thankful for your taking good care of her. :)

Cheers Chris! Were stoked on the addition to the family, and thankful for your taking good care of her. :)

WTYM! I'm excited to see what you do with it. The additional parking space at Casa de Duder really helps as well!

I'm getting my 242 prepped for Davis now, lots of deferred jobs that I'm finally getting around to. Will update that thread soon.

Rear mounted, I assume, you mean, yes....maybe?

Yeah, of course. Rear mounted, backwards behind the back seat. Driveshaft forward to a transfer case and front diff under the hood. Then another long driveshaft back to the rear diff. RS200 style. RS245!!

Yeah, of course. Rear mounted, backwards behind the back seat. Driveshaft forward to a transfer case and front diff under the hood. Then another long driveshaft back to the rear diff. RS200 style. RS245!!

Actually it's been done here locally. Roof cut out and all. It was a "stubb race" car.
Tried to find a picture but I couldn't fint it.

Actually it's been done here locally. Roof cut out and all. It was a "stubb race" car.
Tried to find a picture but I couldn't fint it.

I should have known. That would be rad to see if you ever do come across pictures of it.

Back