• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Glove box glue

nel621

Need to secure the glove box door on one of the 240s. I'm thinking either liquid nails or silicone. Anyone have a preference or better idea?

sikaflex_1a_tube.jpg

white-3m-caulk-pn06500hc-64_1000.jpg

Double sided gorilla tape works amazing for lots of stuff like this. Clean first with alcohol or acetone or whatever solvent is available and appropriate for situation, as with any adhesive.

Never silicone. Its a decent sealant horrible adhesive.

5200 is a whole different beast. They glue whole boats together with this stuff. Hell, every second seam on my 12' inflatable zodiac boat has 5200 on it and they hold better than some of the factory "welded" seams have. My oarlocks are attached to the surface with 5200. I use it in the boat in creeks and rivers so it takes a lot of stick and rock damage.

The OG stuff looks a lot like liquid nails and it seems to dry out chalk and let go after 25-30 years, so you can carve away at it with your steely knives or get it out of the way quickly with the #36 and put a nice 'tooth' on the plastic for the adhesive goo of your choice while you're at it.

Most adhesion failures are due to incompatibilities. Wrong adhesive for the materials, or contamination of surfaces with something like mold release agent, or greasy mitt prints. The right cleaner is crucial. Many soaps have other additives that can mess with adhesion, like hand moisturizing dish soap. I like to use the Wurth brake and parts cleaner in a pump bottle. It is non chlorinated, and does not mess up most finishes and plastics. If you buy it bulk and put it in an adjustable hand pump bottle, you can give the tinyest little spirt, and then wipe. Stuff lasts forever if it isn't coming out of a "Big Blast" aerosol can....
890108718%20(new).jpg

891503002%20(new).jpg

Most situations there is sufficient tooth without sanding as long as surfaces are clean.
I work on and sell $3000-$20000 bicycles. This is a shop without 36 grit.

Both mine had separated.

Silicone just because it was handy. Both still in place. Not a high stress adhesion area.

5200 is a whole different beast. They glue whole boats together with this stuff. Hell, every second seam on my 12' inflatable zodiac boat has 5200 on it and they hold better than some of the factory "welded" seams have. My oarlocks are attached to the surface with 5200. I use it in the boat in creeks and rivers so it takes a lot of stick and rock damage.

Brand: 3M
Series: Marine
3M Number: 5200
Chemical Base: Polyurethane
Material Compatibility: ABS; Acrylic; Fiberglass; Metal; Nylon; Plastic; Wood
Cure Time: 5 days
Exact Fixture Time: 30 hr
Color: White
Product Form: Paste
Package Type: Cartridge
Package Size: 10 fl oz
Shear Strength: 538 psi
Tensile Strength: 705 psi
Shore Hardness: 68 Shore A
Maximum Operating Temperature: +190 ?F
Minimum Operating Temperature: -40 ?F
Viscosity Measurement: 100000 to 500000 cPs
Storage Condition: Keep in Cool and Dry Place; Store Between 60?F to 80?F
Shelf Life: 24 mo
Required Applicator: Caulk Gun
Hazardous Shipping: NOT REGULATED
Package Quantity: 12 per case

Not sillicone

Windshield urethane works great. So does 3M body seam sealer. I usually have a tube of each around, therefore, one or the other gets used to put the doors back together.

Any dealer techs from the early 80s may remember that Volvo engineers wanted all glove box doors that came off sent back to Sweden. Warranty required replacement of the door. All the doors were loaded into some conexes and sent back along with a tube of 3m super weatherstrip adhesive. Engineering said the glue smelled very bad and recommend not to use.

Any dealer techs from the early 80s may remember that Volvo engineers wanted all glove box doors that came off sent back to Sweden. Warranty required replacement of the door. All the doors were loaded into some conexes and sent back along with a tube of 3m super weatherstrip adhesive. Engineering said the glue smelled very bad and recommend not to use.

That's a cool story. Is that what precipitated the reinforced hinge and latch arrangement we see on 93's?

Windshield urethane works great. So does 3M body seam sealer. I usually have a tube of each around, therefore, one or the other gets used to put the doors back together.

I've used the same windshield urethane on my car, as well as others...works great...it gets hot here in the south and most other adhesives fail during the hot summer months.

That's a cool story. Is that what precipitated the reinforced hinge and latch arrangement we see on 93's?

Could be. The dealership was bought in early 1988. The day after the sale was announced another local dealer called and asked if I would like to be the sm of a Acura store he was going to open. The Volvo MB and Jag franchises got closed in the great nation wide buy-out. The Acura store went thru 4 owners. The last was closed by Honda for being out of trust.

I just used a few 1/2-1" squares of 3m VHB tape. Make sure everything is clean clean clean, and it'll stay.

Back