• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 New B230 Fuel Rail no Cold Start Port?

smoothdurban

I do my own stunts
Hey guys

I just bought a brand spanking new fuel rail for a b230FT engine and I noticed a couple of differences from the rail that came off of the engine. Other then it being new and shiny it appears to require different type of retaining clips for the injectors, it has a port between injector 1 and 2 which looks like a schrader valve would fit inside there. In addition it has no port for the cold starting fuel supply which would typically be between injector 3 and 4.

The part number I ordered is 6842429. The car the engine came out of was 91 740 turbo.

This is for a warm weather build so I would imagine the cold start injector is not necessary but I find it unusual that the replacement fuel rail doesn't have a fuel supply port for it.

Has anyone else come across this? If so did you hook up the cold start injector some other way?

I don't recall when the switch happened, but Volvo omitted the 5th injector at some point. Newer LH ECU didn't use the injector and used the 4 existing for cold start functioning.

I ended up running the new rail on old manifold for a while without the injector hooked up. No problems.

The schrader valve is for testing fuel pressure, and a nice feature over the older rails that didn't have that.

I ended up running the new rail on old manifold for a while without the injector hooked up. No problems.

The schrader valve is for testing fuel pressure, and a nice feature over the older rails that didn't have that.

Did you block off the port on the manifold for the cold start injector or did you just leave it attached without a fuel supply?

I figured that's what the schrader valve was for. perhaps a more permanent fuel pressure gauge may be attached there ;)

If you stay with the "old" ECU leave the cold start injector attached on both sides of 3. Attached to the inlet manifold and to the wiring. The ECU will trow a code otherwise.
You will need a longer support fuel hose too.
Good luck, Kay

I don't recall when the switch happened, but Volvo omitted the 5th injector at some point. Newer LH ECU didn't use the injector and used the 4 existing for cold start functioning.

I believe the switch was 92+ and the retaining clips are different like you wrote as far as I know.

My 97 230FT uses a rail with just 4 injectors and a schrader valve. No cold start injector.

I am on to week five waiting for clips 3507757.

They appear to be on external back order.

May need to throw out a feeler for some used ones.

If you haven't found them yet, you could try asking hiperfauto on here. https://forums.tbforums.com/member.php?u=43455 if you want the clips new/old stock. If you want to go the used route, billy 780 would most likely have them--and you'd get them fast with excellent communication, heck he might even have new ones too. https://forums.tbforums.com/member.php?u=15804
2manyturbos, our moderator also has a ton of parts, he is very reasonable and good person to deal with: https://forums.tbforums.com/member.php?u=914

I'm sure that one of these sellers has them!

Last edited:
Back