• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Fuel Tank Removal

sksmith

I have the filler tube & all vacuum / vent lines removed from the tank on my 142, but how do I go about getting the tank out?
Is there a good way to get the sealer to loosen? I can't seem to get anything in-between the tank & the trunk floor. I've cleaned away the excess sealer from around the tank and the trunk floor. It will not pull out and I do not want to screw it up pushing from the bottom.
Let me know what kind of experiences you guys have and methods you may have used.
Thanks,
Steve

Verrrry carefully put a piece of plywood on a jack under the tank and verrry carefully crank it up one stroke at a time, wait a while after each stroke, and it should release the dum dum holding it in the frame.

Already drained it, Ken. Besides, it isn't a 1966 Buick Wildcat tank. That was a beast just dropping it, but it did have gas in it.
Didn't get back out there last night, too tired. I have to measure my lone leftover 2X4 from my basement remodel & cut it to fit between the frame rails & didn't feel like digging out my saw.
I'll give it a shot after work today.
Thanks,
Steve

Already drained it, Ken. Besides, it isn't a 1966 Buick Wildcat tank. That was a beast just dropping it, but it did have gas in it.
Didn't get back out there last night, too tired. I have to measure my lone leftover 2X4 from my basement remodel & cut it to fit between the frame rails & didn't feel like digging out my saw.
I'll give it a shot after work today.
Thanks,
Steve

In high school I had a 54 buick special that we dropped a 401 nailhead out of a 66 wildcat into. The '54 originally had a 264 nailhead.

Yeah, i have 2/3 of the 140 tanks. One is going back into my 72 142. The other has something welded to the right lower side. I assume its for the pump.

RWC: Is anybody buying refurbed 140 gas tanks?

Back