• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

66 122 - The car I shouldnt keep but like too much

That's looking nice, Jack.
Steve

Indeed it is. Man those new door cards are sharp.

thanks guys, I love working on this car. Door cards are super nice

today these showed up and ..... (I need to take a picture of the letter that came with these "sorry we use to sell them red but now they are black"

FkboagDh.jpg

KRy2QRFh.jpg

I replaced driver rear drum because studs were stripped
Vhr3BsBh.jpg

8tGNaU6h.jpg

Rides great actually. Now I need to pick up Bilstein HDs and IPD bar from my Chewbacca friend... old school yellows made in "Western Germany"

MZDc5Cwh.jpg

YLKMBdzh.jpg

got more stuff in the mail today. Fix one problem discover 50yo? parts are a pos :lol: clutch pedal/clutch has been doing weird stuff for 4 days. Randomly I have to press the pedal twice to get it into gear and yesterday it started to feel like clutch is slipping...................... probably not related. The slave is new and the fluid in master is super dark so I just ordered a new wilwood. See what the clutch does after

gasket is for trans output - had I known I'll be replacing the clutch I would have ordered front seal also:roll:
new braided clutch hose. Everything ordered from HiPerfomance Automobile
VNr1KdBh.jpg

Installed the same shift knob I have in my other cars.

I also installed a new fuel sender so I can finally know how much gas I actually have. I ran out of gas twice already - all in front of my house. Now that I'm more committed to keeping this thing, buying parts and working on it is a lot easier.

GGIyWHEh.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the recently replaced fuel pump with NOS Volvo unit.

leaking out of weep hole - fuel on engine mount
iuVfN4fh.jpg

5zhitl8h.jpg

spacer that was on broke while I was removing the gasket ... I was gentle. I put a less fuked up one I had around- left
19aeRP2h.jpg

new, now with clamps
AqZMpZmh.jpg

replaced the clutch master and the soft line
old with dirty fluid (less than a year old)
dfHiz4mh.jpg

9kUlHtTh.jpg

you have to swap the rod from the old one onto the Wilwood. REMEMBER to seat the C-clip right - I didnt
z76oWFsh.jpg

while the master was off. I removed old paint and did a quick primer and paint job. Also cleaned up the hardline
9NRA08Yh.jpg

Clutch is slipping. Picked up a 6bolt flywheel from friend, I will drop it off at machine shop tomorrow and get that ready

How old is your clutch ? Seems odd that it would slip if it's recent. Is your slave adjusted properly so that you're engaging and releasing fully ?

That old MC was beyond done, that's some junk! Car looks good, glad to see you're keeping it.

How old is your clutch ? Seems odd that it would slip if it's recent. Is your slave adjusted properly so that you're engaging and releasing fully ?

That old MC was beyond done, that's some junk! Car looks good, glad to see you're keeping it.

I have no history with the clutch. It was fine since I got it until last week. Slave adjusted correctly. That master was pretty good inside besides front seal coming apart and the rear was on it's way out. Thanks for the compliments. I get compliments and start conversations with men and women almost everywhere I go whenever I drive this car
More than any other car I have ever owned
0GPOg1Uh.jpg

since pictures are a must. Took few things to powder coating today
two 4.5 wheels - because she said 1/2 inch makes all the difference
interior windshield trim
engine mounts
trans mount
seat mounts and seat bottoms (not in pictures)
rear lower control arm
two valve covers
dip stick
4VvsjyNh.jpg

Last edited:
Today I decided to work on rear seat area.

Forgot to take picture of seat installed. I removed most of the asbestos insulation a while ago
2dyKuz6h.jpg

scraped up and wiped off with goof off. You can spend 1/2 a day getting all the adhesive off (I did on few cars) but at some point it makes no difference
8bAno1Yh.jpg

done
2EL3qu8h.jpg

doing the tunnel next. Does the shift boot go between the plastic vents and body or does it tuck into the tunnel (trans/boot/tunnel)?
8v9tPNhh.jpg

stopped here for today
Nhcn5UQh.jpg

in Parts Collection Department
picked up the flywheel
mb8dojPh.jpg

got steel timing gears off a Penta at a friends scrap yard for pretty much nothing. Having Volvo tools makes pulling them super easy. Pulled the brass spacer too
MoZTxJdh.jpg

soaked the rear seatbelts overnight - I usually pressure wash old seatbelts but the 122 belts get their color washed out... So I tried this
lzJTyZLh.jpg

since I have the seat out I decided to glue the plywood back together. If I ever get to recovering it I will cut a new board out and transfer all the sprangs
yD2MU09h.jpg

waiting, you can never have enough clamps
8LnPn64h.jpg

decided to build a hat shelf. Used a spare body to find the lines using painters paper
YbKK1RVh.jpg

used a cut off wheel on a $4 hardboard from Home Cheetos
fL0driVh.jpg

3M 90 is what I use. Got 12'x4.5' cheapest carpeting for $17. Ill be covering up the floors soon and I dont want to spend the money at VP for original rubber covers, just yet. Dont forget the notches.
4gy15wJh.jpg

My son would have deducted points if I didn't glue that piece of vinyl there.
iwSAaIwh.jpg

Installed. I'll get a better picture after I clean back there. Picture makes it look uneven but it isnt.
ofdbMnLh.jpg

discharged nearly a full can of 3m glue... I toss cans in there all the time but nothing ever punctures. At least I wont lose tools anymore.
5RSdvpHh.jpg

About to remove this pos but I dont want to destroy it in case I do ever need it. Can you remove that head bolt without fuking up the HG?
ot1xdwNh.jpg

QKdEY1Ih.jpg

Last edited:
I'ver never had to remove the head bolt to remove the temp sending unit. Use a low profile 15 mm, make sure you have it nice and flat against the head and it should come off.

It's easier to have the valve cover off too, it makes for easy access.

I'ver never had to remove the head bolt to remove the temp sending unit. Use a low profile 15 mm, make sure you have it nice and flat against the head and it should come off.

It's easier to have the valve cover off too, it makes for easy access.
lol didnt even think of taking the VC off.. I should be getting the powder coated one any day now, I;ll wait unit then

this thing is super flat too. I might just go to a JY and get a freebee deep socket and notch it

got to KISS

how is it attached? I was playing with it just now and the only way that made any sense to me was stuffing it inside the tunnel.
washers where ?

I just checked my tunnel...scratch that - it attaches with four screws to the heater duct. If you don't have screw holes in your duct (that's how mine was attached) then you could just stuff it in the hole.

Then again, they may just float and someone decided to screw mine down.

No screws necessary for the shift boot. The flange gets stuffed into the tunnel. Just make sure to go back under the car and verify that there's no folds in the flange or it will leak hot air into the cabin. If clearance is an issue you may need to drop the trans crossmember down.

Use a crows foot wrench to remove/install the temp sender bulb. It can usually be done without removing the valve cover unless you have an aluminum valve cover.

Nice double oven!
Thank you. I took most of it apart, replaced screws with stainless, new insulation, rebuilt the valves. Kept the outside original.
Kitchen is a mess right meow. Will be putting in steel cabinets along with a farm house sink - 60 something inches wide, hopefully by the end of the year
lt7wWSOh.jpg

thats one of them.Took them apart and got them powder coated. Left is a hobart mixer I got for $50 at the scrap - city tossed it :wtf: nothing wrong with it
9n3Z3OZh.jpg

I just checked my tunnel...scratch that - it attaches with four screws to the heater duct. If you don't have screw holes in your duct (that's how mine was attached) then you could just stuff it in the hole.

Then again, they may just float and someone decided to screw mine down.
thank you for checking for me :nod:
The few amazons I had that had a boot never had any screw holes

No screws necessary for the shift boot. The flange gets stuffed into the tunnel. Just make sure to go back under the car and verify that there's no folds in the flange or it will leak hot air into the cabin. If clearance is an issue you may need to drop the trans crossmember down.

Use a crows foot wrench to remove/install the temp sender bulb. It can usually be done without removing the valve cover unless you have an aluminum valve cover.

thats what I ended up doing. Dang crows foot wrenches:rant: I never had a need for them. Time to buy. I know Luke

Today
old deformed surround and rusty turn signal switch
ni8GG7Jh.jpg

in case anyone needs to reference
7lps3MIh.jpg

cleaned all the connectors
L4Anvo5h.jpg

Found a better surround and I polished it up. Does a psycho GF condom go where the turn signal hole is? Is this much gap between surround and dash normal?
FXFTbbmh.jpg

glue is dry - looks the same but at least it isnt coming apart
r0EdEBmh.jpg

decided to finish up the driver rear floor. Welded under and touched up some places I missed.
This is before welding from bottom
hw2mQadh.jpg

AX2AOgzh.jpg

It helps to remove the firewall horsehair potato sack BEFORE welding. Man does that stink when it burns, must be something else in it
4uEb1uCh.jpg

used body sealant inside car only (ran out for bottom) my cocking guns plunger failed, too much pushing for the old tube :-D
9RVUFzfh.jpg

Rgpf8VWh.jpg

used up the rest of my Dynamat up. focusing on the exhaust side since radiant heat is strong.
GdW1alMh.jpg

back seat reinstalled.
FPYyF3Oh.jpg

what goes in ze hole?
MfelI4rh.jpg

Once I replace passenger front floor, I'll be installing carpet. I need to pull the fender off to properly fix the rust and when I do I will be painting the fender at the same time. Waiting on clutch to arrive so I can swap that over. Fixing up this car so I can fix my 245 T5 tans swap clutch issues :roll:

Last edited:
last night... old tires are old. Tires were on order already and wheels at powder coating
B0Sc7Qyh.jpg

because I almost put a spare inside the car...
1V2nUa7h.jpg

Today. Got a newer but still used tire put on a wheel for now. Hiperfromance Auto had apprentice Ian deliver this to my porch. He didnt even knock.. delivered and back to L.A.:-P

previous gorilla stripped off the upper two bolts holding trans to bell housing. This was still the easiest removal of transmission out of any Volvo I own.
DoFMlV1h.jpg

worn out
6ys0zd6h.jpg

right down to the rivets
YdV5OKah.jpg

removed the retaining clip - it went flying and I thought I lost it for sure.... landed in my pile of bolts :cool:
XejKtdfh.jpg

IDK what this volvo tool originally was, there were hack marks on both ends but it fit prefectly in the pilot bearing hole .. stuffed it with paper and out it came
Y23fvSrh.jpg

This is a late model M40. Looks like someone swapped it in at some point and my speedo is way off. Doesn't this car need a yellow speedo sender ? I had the info somewhere but cant find it.

AYpanjmh.jpg

evpiJ2Bh.jpg

if you want to know what a moron I am. Eric asked me if I wanted the RMS ... nope it's fine.... well Eric ... now I'm going through my boxes and boxes of NOS parts to see if I have are the right one....:roll: Thats it for today. tired of rolling around on gravel this week.

Last edited:
Back